become an editor
the entire directory
only in Biology/Taxonomy
Science: Biology: Flora and Fauna
Science: Biology: Genetics
Science: Environment: Biodiversity
This category in other languages:
American Society of Plant Taxonomists
- Promotes research and teaching in the taxonomy, systematics, and phylogeny of vascular and nonvascular plants.
- About two dozen links collected by the Ontology Project at the philosophy department of State University of New York at Buffalo.
BioNET - International
- A global network of country-owned collaborative LOOPs to support national programs for biosystematics to support goals in areas such as sustainable development and pest management.
DELTA: Description Language for Taxonomy
- A flexible format for encoding taxonomic descriptions for computer processing. It can be used to produce natural-language descriptions, conventional or interactive keys, classifications, and information-retrieval systems.
European Consortium for the Barcode of Life
- Project for DNA barcoding from a European perspective. List of European research institutes and researchers involved. Importance of DNA barcoding for taxonomy, the science of categorizing life forms.
Expert Center for Taxonomic Identification
- ETI is a non-governmental organisation in operational relations with UNESCO. Their mission is to develop scientific/educational computer-aided information systems, to improve general access to, and to promote use of taxonomic and biodiversity knowledge worldwide.
Fairchild Tropical Garden Virtual Herbarium
- Includes photos of more than 50,000 plant, palm, cycad and other cultivated tropical plants from Florida and taxonomic information on grasses, especially bamboos, and other economically important and interesting plants.
Glossary of Phylogenetic Systematics
- An annotated, extensive hypertext glossary of the terminology of Phylogenetic Systematics, with a discussion and criticism of mainstream Computer Cladistics.
Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Authoritative taxonomic information on plants, animals, fungi, and microbes of North America and the world.
Is it Time to Revise the System of Scientific Naming?
- Article from National Geographic News arguing that the taxonomic classification system devised by Linnaeus is outdated by genetic research that shows that morphological similarities are not necessarily proof of evolutionary relatedness.
Learn Plants Now
- Strategies and tips for learning how to identify plants in the field. Introduction to botanical terms, checklist for plant identification, recommended resources.
NCBI Taxonomy Homepage
- Provides a taxonomy browser, taxonomy resources and other information.
Scalenet - Glossary
- A short glossary explaining some of the terms used in taxonomy. From a site on scale insects.
Systema Naturae 2000
- An up-to-date historical cross-referenced classification of life based on original authoritative scientific literature.
- Information from Wikipedia on the practice and science of classification, the arrangement of organisms in a hierarchical structure.
Taxonomy and Systematics at Glasgow
- About taxonomy and systematics at the University of Glasgow, with links to other internet resources on these subjects.
Tree of Life
- A project containing information about the diversity of organisms on Earth, their history, and characteristics. The information is linked together in the form of the evolutionary tree that connects all organisms to each other.
Universal Biological Indexer and Organizer
- A networked information service for biological information resources, based upon the Taxonomic Name Server, a thesaurus of taxonomic information.
Usenet sci.bio.systematics -
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: August 11, 2014 at 15:54:10 UTC -