become an editor
the entire directory
only in Protista/Apicomplexa
Flora and Fauna
Open Directory - Science: Biology: Flora and Fauna: Protista: Apicomplexa
Health: Conditions and Diseases: Infectious Diseases: Parasitic: Babesiosis
Health: Conditions and Diseases: Infectious Diseases: Parasitic: Cryptosporidiosis
Health: Conditions and Diseases: Infectious Diseases: Parasitic: Malaria
Health: Conditions and Diseases: Infectious Diseases: Parasitic: Toxoplasmosis
Science: Biology: Microbiology: Parasitology
- Information from MicrobeWiki on this phylum of parasites, their description and significance, genome structure, cell structure, metabolism and ecology.
- Information on this diverse group of over 5000 species including the coccidia Cryptosporidium, Isospora, Cyclospora, Toxaplasma, Babesia and Theileria which can all infect humans.
- Article from Wikopedia on this large group of protists which are unicellular, spore-forming and exclusively parasitic on animals.
Biology of the Eimeriidae
- Life cycle and other aspects of this family of homoxenous (direct life cycle) protists, in which merogony, gamogony and the formation of oocysts occur within the same host.
- Animation showing the life cycle of the single-celled organism of the genus Eimeria that causes this disease.
- Information on the complex life cycle of the malarial parasite and a project to construct a full length cDNA genome sequence for Plasmodium falciparum.
Introduction to the Apicomplexa
- Discussion of this group of parasitic, pathogenic protists, formerly considered to be Sporozoa but now grouped on the basis of structural features including an apical complex of microtubules within the cell.
- Information on the blood parasites of the genus Plasmodium that can infect humans, with a diagram and information on their complex life cycle.
Manipulating the Plasmodium Genome
- Outlines research by Teresa Gil Cavalho and Robert Menard on unravelling and manipulating the genome of the malarial parasite. [PDF]
- Laura Augustine provides information on the malarial parasite, its classification, habitat, adaptation, nutrition, reproduction and methods of prevention and treatment.
Sporozoa - Apicomplexa
- Illustrated information on the common cellular features of the group, the life cycle and the two main sub-groups, the Gregarines and the Coccidia.
- Information from Wikipedia on this parasitic protozoan which can cause toxaplasmosis, including the life cycle of the parasite.
- Information on a project to construct a Toxoplasma full-length cDNA library. Also information on the life history of the parasite in several host species.
- Research project by Christopher Parks on this parasite including its classification, host environment, reproduction and adaptations.
Toxoplasma gondii Sequencing Project
- Provides information on this project to sequence the genome of T. gondii which infects virtually all warm blooded animals.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:07:59 AM EST -