become an editor
the entire directory
only in Flora_and_Fauna/Protista
Flora and Fauna
Science: Biology: Botany: Phycology
Science: Biology: Genetics: Eukaryotic: Protists
Science: Biology: Microbiology: Protistology
Science: Earth Sciences: Paleontology: Micropaleontology
This category in other languages:
Acritarchs and Chitinozoa
- Information on these organisms which have not yet been able to be classified, including their fossil record, biology and life cycle with a number of images of individual species.
- A basic guide to algae including marine, freshwater and land species.
Algae Description and Types
- Algae are plant-like organisms that are usually photosynthetic and aquatic and this article describes the main phylogenetic groups.
- Information on the algae of the world, including terrestrial, marine, and freshwater forms. Search by genus, species, or common name. Includes images and references.
The Center for Phycological Documentation
- Information about algae and their taxonomy, including 'The Catalogue of the Benthic Marine Algae of the Indian Ocean,' and 'The Index Nominum Algarum,' a compendium of circa 200,000 algal names.
- Microscopy of the protozoa by Piotr Rotkiewicz - includes images, systematics, glossary, forum, and resources.
- Information from Wikipedia on these unicellular organisms with one or more whip-like organelles called flagella. Although sharing this common structure, they are not a single taxonomic group.
- Article by Wim van Egmond introducing these organisms with photographs of Euglena, Peranema, Dinoflagellates and Spongomonas, and instructions on growing your own cultures.
- Introduction and technical information regarding seaweeds and phycology.
- Provides information on the varieties of algae and their classification with photomicrographs of example species of the main freshwater phyla.
Freshwater Diatoms and Algae
- Microscope images of many genera, mostly collected in central Texas.
Introduction to the Chromista: From Microbes to Giants
- General discussion of the kingdom-level taxon Chromista, including diatoms, kelp, downy mildew, and other organisms that possess chlorophyll and are mostly photosynthetic, but are not plants. Includes links for more information.
Introduction to the Sagenista
- Information on the bicoecids and slime nets which form a basal group of chromists, the classification of which is unclear.
Just what is this Stuff we call Algae?
- Information on the freshwater algae likely to be found in a garden pond.
Marine Algae of Northern California
- About 16 photographs of species found in this region.
- Small photograph gallery of microscopic algae, phytoplankton and diatoms.
- Article by Jean-Marie Cavanihac on these organisms with photographs of many species.
Ohio University: Algae
- Provides a directory of algal images and links to general information on algae.
- Information from Wikipedia on this group of organisms which cannot be classified as plants, animals or fungi.
Protist Image Data
- Pictures and information on selected genera of algae and protozoa.
Protist Images: Heterokonta
- Classification of these flagellates with a number of images of individual species. English and Japanese.
Protist Information Server
- Image database archiving more than 34,000 images (511 genera, 1944 species) and 556 movie clips for research and education.
- Short articles and illustrations of the major groups of protists.
- Article from Wikipedia on the unicellular microbes that are traditionally classified as protozoans, based on their methods of locomotion.
- Information on many aspects of seaweeds with links to other sites connected with these algae.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: December 2, 2015 at 9:15:09 UTC -