become an editor
the entire directory
only in Fungi/Lichens
Flora and Fauna
Science: Biology: Mycology: Lichens
British Soldier Lichen
- Student project on Cladonia cristatella with classification, habitat, phylogenetics and environmental interactions.
- Research project by Megan Kelso provides photographs and plenty of information on this lichen which can be found living on rocks close to the sea.
Catalog of California Lichens
- 1575 species have been identified from this state, the great geographic diversity being responsible for the relatively large number of lichens found.
Cladina: Reindeer Lichens
- Information and photographs of Cladina mitis, C. rangiferina and C. stellaris, their description, habitat and other notes.
- Article by Tom Volk on the British soldier lichen, where the fungal element is associated with the green alga, Trebouxia erici.
- Article by Tom Volk on this lichen, often known as Reindeer Moss, and on lichens in general.
Cladonia: Club Lichens and Cup Lichens
- Photographs and information on these lichens, their description, habitat and other notes.
Cryptothecia rubrocincta, the Christmas Lichen
- Photographs and article by Tom Volk on this spectacular lichen which can be found in the tropical regions of the Americas.
The Earthlife Web Lichen Image Directory
- About 40 images of lichens, including some unidentified ones.
FIA Lichen Indicator
- The Forest Inventory and Analysis service in the United States monitors the lichen community in order to assess the impact of air pollution on forest health.
Growth and Development in Lichens
- Each species of lichen has its own preferred substrate. This article describes how and where they grow and the extremes of climate that they can tolerate.
Introduction to Lichens
- A lichen is a combination of two organisms which live together intimately. Information on their fossil record, life history and ecology, systematics and morphology.
- Provides a global information system for lichenized and non-lichenized ascomycetes.
Lichen Determination Keys Available on the Internet
- Provides links to keys providing details of the lichens that can be found in many countries throughout the world.
A Lichen in Close-up
- Images of a lichen at three different magnifications, the most detailed showing the algal and fungal components.
- Photographs of Acolium hawaiiense, Acroscyphus sphaerophoroides, Anaptychia leucomelos, Bacidia medialis, Bryoria furcellata, B. smithii, Buellia aeruginascens, B. proximata, B. pruinosa, B. tincta, Caloplaca erythrantha and Teloschistes flavicans.
- An illustrated introduction to the lichens with information on their ecology and reproduction.
Lichens of North America
- Details of the book of this name, and an interesting introduction to the biology of lichens and their relationships with man and the environment.
Lichens: Dual Organisms
- Twenty four photographs ranging from lichen covered rock faces, through individual species to magnified sections, published in a pictorial supplement to the Fifth Kingdom.
Life on the Rocks
- A peep into the world of lichens by Paul James with photographs of a number of species growing in Wales.
Niebla and Vermilacinia Communities
- Photographs and information on the lichens in the Ramalinaceae family found in California and Baja California.
- Photograph and description of the freckle pelt or spotted dog lichen, its habitat and other notes.
Plants Profile for Fayodia striatula
- Details of this lichenous member of the family Tricholomataceae.
Reproduction and Reproductive Structures
- Outline with diagrams of the two fundamentally different sorts of reproductive bodies possessed by lichens, and the three main types of vegetative reproduction where pieces of lichen detach.
Walton Hall Nature Trail
- Take a walk through the churchyard to see what lichens grow on the different man-made outcrops of stone.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: January 5, 2016 at 12:05:06 UTC -