become an editor
the entire directory
only in Fungi/Ascomycota
Flora and Fauna
Open Directory - Science: Biology: Flora and Fauna: Fungi: Ascomycota
This category in other languages:
- Information from Wikipedia on various fungi from the order Ophiostomatales which have a symbiotic relationship with the ambrosia beetle.
Ascochyta Leaf Spot
- Photographs and information on various Ascochyta species which infect wheat, barley, oats, rye and many grasses.
- Account of the Ascomycetes and their anamorphs, with many illustrations and several animations.
- Notes on this varied group which produce microscopic spores inside special, elongated cells or sacs, known as "asci".
- Information from Wikipedia on this phylum, including classification, biology and reproduction, with photographs.
- Photograph of this yellow species.
Cephalosporium Leaf Stripe
- Photographs and information on the fungus Cephalosporium gramineum which is known to affect wheat, barley, oats, rye and grasses.
- Illustrated article by Tom Volk on this fungal pathogen, the cause of coccidioidomycosis.
- Information from Wikipedia on this pathogenic fungus that can cause coccidioidomycosis or Valley Fever.
- Photograph of this spiny species growing on a branch.
Delicacies in the Sand or Manna from Heaven?
- Article by Tom Volk on desert truffles which are members of the genera Terfezia and Tirmania and are much esteemed as food in the semi-arid regions of Arabia and North Africa.
- Illustrated article by Tom Volk on the different cup fungi from which a faery might choose to sip.
Freshwater Ascomycetes and Their Anamorphs
- General information about the group, a referenced database listing the ascomycetes reported from freshwater, and a series of illustrated species profiles.
Index to Ascomycota
- List of about 90 sac fungi and their anamorphs, with photographs of each.
Inoperculate Discomycetes of the Netherlands
- Stip Helleman’s personal site with species descriptions and pictures of Helotiales, mainly Hyaloscyphaceae, and other ascomycetes and members of the family Cyphellaceae.
- Provides a global information system for lichenized and non-lichenized ascomycetes.
Moulds in the Home: Cladosporium cladosporioides
- Article on this species which can cause unsightly patches on damp walls in houses.
Mycorrhizae and the American Chestnut: An Underground Tale of Mystery
- This article describes mycorrhizal associations, where the hyphae of a fungus wrap themselves around the roots of a host, in this case the American Chestnut.
Pezizales in the Pacific Northwest
- Provides a key to this group of fungi.
- Information from Wikipedia on this genus of plant pathogens.
- Photograph of ray blight caused by this pathogen.
Rhytisma acerinum and Rhytisma punctatum
- Tom Volk provides photographs and information on these causal agents of tar spot of maple.
- Scanning electron microscope image of a conidium and spores.
Truffle-like Fungi in Australia
- Photographs and much information on these fungi whose truffle-like fruiting bodies are generally produced underground.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Friday, April 12, 2013 8:24:02 AM EDT -