become an editor
the entire directory
only in Lutrinae/Enhydra
Flora and Fauna
ADW: Enhydra lutris: Information
- Find a description of the physical appearance, behavior and diet of the species provided by the Animal Diversity Web.
Arctic Studies Center: Sea Otter
- Article on these playful mammals with an account by 19th century naturalist Edward Nelson on their previous abundance and the decline in their numbers due to hunting.
California Sea Otter Project
- Promotes the rapid recovery of the California Sea Otter, an indicator of near shore ocean health, by facilitating research and communicating research results to the general public and policy makers.
Enhydra lutris: The Sea Otter
- Research project by Britany Bluske on this species, including its classification, habitat, reproduction, adaptations, nutrition and interactions with other species.
Golden State Images: Sea Otters
- Photography of sea otters taken in the wild along the southern California coast.
Monterey Bay Aquarium: Live Sea Otter Cam
- Features live images from 7 a.m to 7 p.m. Pacific Time. Also offers information on the species and a guide to spotting them in the wild.
Rescuing Sea Otters
- Randall William Davis describes how otters were saved after the Exxon Valdez supertanker ran aground in Prince William Sound.
Sea Otter Crash: Arctic Science Journeys Radio
- Radio transcript describes the decline of the species since the 1990's along the rocky coast of southwest Alaska's Aleutian Islands.
Sea Otter Population Dynamics
- Information on UCSB research into population dynamics in Southern California. Find background information on the species, history of research, objectives and map.
Useful References: Marine and Sea Otters
- Bibliography of technical and popular articles from the Encyclopedia Smithsonian.
Vanishing Sea Otters
- John H. Lienhard describes how changes in the ecology of Alaska led to the rapid decline of the species in Alaska in the 1990's.
Glacier Bay Hot Real Estate for Sea Otters
- Ned Rozell of the Geophysical Institute, at the University of Alaska Fairbanks writes that while the species is declining elsewhere in the state, the population is increasing in this protected habitat. (March 24, 2005)
Otters Join Research Project
- Discusses research project at Long Marine Lab, at UC Santa Cruz into the nutritional needs and the long-term survival of this threatened species. (October 08, 2001)
Killer Whales Develop a Taste for Sea Otters
- In this Alaska Science Forum article, Ned Rozell provides an overview of the phenomenon and population research. (December 10, 1998)
Killer Whales Feeding on Sea Otters
- Tim Stephens explains how overexploitation of certain North Pacific and Bering Sea fisheries may have initiated a cascade effect that is pushing the sea otter towards extinction in the waters of Alaska. Features an overview of UCSC research into the phenomenon. (October 19, 1998)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: December 4, 2014 at 12:24:03 UTC -