become an editor
the entire directory
only in Apocrita/Formicidae
Flora and Fauna
Open Directory - Science: Biology: Flora and Fauna: Animalia: Arthropoda: Insecta: Hymenoptera: Apocrita: Formicidae
Kids and Teens: School Time: Science: Living Things: Animals: Invertebrates: Insects: Ants
Recreation: Pets: Exotic: Invertebrates: Arthropods
Science: Agriculture: Pests and Diseases: Animal Pests
A Checklist of the Ants of Michigan
- The taxonomy of the 113 ant species recorded in Michigan, with an introduction describing the history of Michigan myrmecology.
A Gallery of British Ants
- Photographs of Lasius flavus and three species of Myrmica.
- Information from Wikipedia on this family of eusocial insects.
- Annotated illustrations of the ant, the different parts of its body and its limbs.
- Describes how various species organize their society. Includes facts on feeding, communication, and government.
Ant Colony Cycle
- View photos and read explanations of the life and building cycle of an ant colony. Click on the images for additional details.
- Links to recent scientific research papers about ants and other social insects.
Ant from the Antipodes
- Photograph of an ant from Australia with enlargements of its foot and mandibles.
- Extensive information about the ants of California and Madagascar from the California Academy of Sciences. Includes browsable and searchable high-resolution images of specimens.
- Collaborative effort between scientists from around the world studying ants. Provides databases and information on projects.
- This article describes ants that may be found around the home, their identification, biology, food preferences and control measures.
- H2G2 factsheet on ants with descriptions and information about the species found in Britain.
Ants of Cachoeira Nature Reserve
- Extensive information about the ants in this reserve in Paraná, Brazil by Jochen Bihn. Includes high-resolution images of specimens.
Ants of Costa Rica
- John Longino's article about Costa Rican ants, as well as information on how to interpret the names of ant species and how to properly mount ant specimens for museum use.
Ants of the Cowling Arboretum and McKnight Prairie, Carleton College
- This is a presentation of the research being done at the Cowling Arboretum, with general information on how to collect, identify and study ants.
Ants of the Southwest
- A large collection of photos of ants in their natural habit in Arizona. Photos are divided by species.
Ants: Family Formicidae
- Photographs and information on the ants found in the Brisbane area of Australia.
- Why Argentine Ants invade homes in Southern California.
- Information from Wikipedia on these ants which have no nest but move in aggressive predatory foraging groups, a strategy adopted by species from several different subfamilies.
Behavior of Real Ants
- Facts concerning ant trails and foraging behavior.
Dracula Ants: Adetomyrma venatrix
- Photograph and information including classification, status, description, range, habitat, biology, threats and conservation.
Ecology - Displacement of Native Ants
- Research paper printed in 1999 investigates the causes behind Argentine ant invasions.
- Information from Wikipedia on arboreal ants that can control the direction of their descent when jumpin or falling from a tree.
Imported Fire Ants
- Biology of Imported Fire ants and control techniques for lawns and turf from University of Florida Cooperative Extension Service.
Interesting Facts About Ants
- Provides general information about ants, such as body structure, life span, and life cycle.
Japanese Ants Color Image Database
- A guide to Japanese ants and their taxonomy, as well as general information about ants. Available in English and Japanese.
Myrm's Ant Nest
- The basics of myrmecology (the study of ants), concentrating on species found in the British Isles.
- Close-up images of ants and other insects by Alex Wild.
Notes From Underground
- Illustrated articles on ant biology, behavior, and ecology.
Photos of ants
- Photo encyclopedia of various ants showing their biology and habits.
Red Harvester Ants
- Description, pest control, management, and the effect of the diminishing red harvester ant population on the Texas horned lizard which is a protected threatened species.
Red Imported Fire Ant
- History, biology and control of the Red Imported Fire Ant , an IPM pest fact sheet.
Smithsonian Magazine - Small Matters
- Illustrated article about how leafcutter ants learned to grow fungi, changing from hunter-gatherers to farmers.
- Imported Fire Ant.
Solenopsis invicta: Red Imported Fire Ant
- Photographs of this ant and its nest, with information on its hosts, symptoms, life cycle and description.
The Ant Farm
- A personal site with links to information about ants, including keeping them as pets. Includes FAQ and message board.
The Secret Life of Ants
- Discusses the architecture of ant nests, the growth of the colony, and the behavior of various species.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:50:24 AM EDT -