become an editor
the entire directory
only in Sun/Aurora
Kids and Teens: School Time: Science: The Earth: The Atmosphere: Auroras
Science: Astronomy: Solar System: Sun: Sun-Earth Interaction
Alaska Science Forum: Aurora
- Large article archive by a variety of authors offering explanations of phenomena related to aurora.
Asahi Aurora Classroom
- Provides plenty of information on the aurora including how and where to see it, FAQ, myths, images and scientific facts.
Aurora Borealis Page
- Includes various image galleries, tips on spotting the lights, an FAQ, and related links.
Aurora Borealis Photo
- Offers prints for sale by Fairbanks, Alaska-based photographer Jack Finch. Galleries are organized by type and color.
- Photos from many photographers and places, sorted by auroral event.
Aurora November 2001
- Pictures taken during the big storm on 5 November, 2001, in Iowa.
The Aurora Page
- Offers an aurora forecast, related links, and image galleries.
- Project to study the sounds and acoustical effects related to geomagnetic storms and aurora borealis.
Auroral Image Gallery
- Auroral image gallery, including images from space.
Auroral Particles and Imagery
- Stories, data from DMSP satellite, movies from space, links and publications, from the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.
Auroras 2000.com : Presented by the Exploratorium
- Guide to the Northern and Southern Lights. News, NASA images, forecasts, and background on the aurora.
- Shows images from an all-sky camera operated by the Sodankylä geophysical observatory in Finland. Part of the ESA Space Weather Applications Pilot Project.
- Image gallery and explanations with updated solar activity chart.
Automatic Geophysical Observatories
- All-sky images and keagrams from South Pole.
- Photo gallery of aurora borealis, meteor showers, and planetary alignments hosted by photographer Dirk Obudzinski. Includes news and sky forecasts.
Comparative Aeronomy in the Solar System
- Workshop, discussion group, links for topics related to aurora on other planets in the solar system.
Fast Auroral SnapshoT Explorer (FAST)
- Polar orbiting satellite for auroral studies.
Geophysical Institute: Aurora FAQ
- Dirk Lummerzheim provides the answers to a variety of questions people have asked about the aurora.
Home of the Northern Lights
- Image Gallery of aurora photos, instruction and tips for taking auroral photos
How to Find and Photograph Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights)
- Describes equipment, techniques, prediction of visibility. Includes a brief description of the phenomenon and some photographs.
Hubble Images of Jupiter's Aurora
- Jupiter's auroral emissions and small auroral spots associated with the flux tube of jovian satellites.
- Images taken by the Galileo spacecraft.
Kjell Henriksen Observatory
- Optical observatory on Svalbard (Spitzbergen), associated with University of Alaska and University of Tromsø. Includes information about how to get there, data and observarions, and the history of the observatory.
Latest IMAGE-WIC (wide-band imaging camera) image
- Real-time images of the entire auroral oval from space.
Museum of Time
- Time lapse photography of aurora (Netherlands).
NASA: Carrington Super Flare
- Account of a solar flare observed by Richard Carrington on September 1, 1859, and the subsequent effects seen on earth.
- There is even aurora on Neptune.
NOAA POES (Polar Orbiting Environmental Satellite)
- Real-time auroral activity derived from satellite.
Painted sky: the aurora
- Image gallery of auroral photos from the ground, from space, and graphics related to aurora.
Polar Visible Imaging Investigations/Visible Imaging System
- Real-time images from space, gallery of movies, data, instrument description.
Proton Precipitation into the Atmosphere
- Workshops, discussion group, links.
Rice Space Institute Outreach
- Links to educational space weather pages, including the "Museums Teaching Planet Earth".
- High quality Hubble Space Telescope images.
Secrets of the Polar Aurora
- Detailed overview of the polar aurora, including where to see it, its causes, its relation to solar and interplanetary phenomena, the type of light, artificial auroras.
Sodankylä Geophysical Observatory
- Observations and research related to northern lights, aeronomy, atmospheric chemistry, and related science.
Sondrestrom Research Facility
- Auroral observatory with a large complement of instruments (including incoherent scatter radar) on the west coast of Greenland.
Tromsø Auroral Observatory
- Articles about the Aurora and the Geomagnetic Field. [Norwegian, English, German]
- Explanation of how aurora is different on Uranus
Words About Aurora
- References to the aurora borealis in Robert Service's poetic works.
Yukon Aurora Forecast
- Predictions updated every 15 minutes for the Yukon-Alaska area.
The Northern Lights
- Documentary video examining the phenomenon of the northern lights or aurora borealis. (November 01, 2001)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: January 3, 2015 at 10:45:05 UTC -