the entire directory
only in Astronomy/History
Eclipses, Occultations and Transits
Science: Astronomy: Education
Science: Math: History
Science: Physics: History
Society: History: By Topic: Exploration: Space
Society: History: By Topic: Science
This category in other languages:
Astronomical References in the Ruba'iyât of Omar Khayyam
- Excerpts and commentary with reproductions of some of Elihu Vedder's illustrations.
Astronomy in Sweden 1860-1940
- From the Uppsala University Newsletter for History of Science.
Astronomy in the 18th Century
- Discusses the development of reflective telescopes during the 1700's. Covers the different types of mirrors and lens that were used during these times. Includes some key contributors to the improvement of the telescope during this period.
Astronomy in the 19th - 21st Centuries
- Part of the history of astronomy covering the discoveries of the size and nature of the universe.
- A rare celestial atlas discovered in the library of the Manchester Astronomical Society.
Biennial History of Astronomy Conferences
- Workshops at Notre Dame, papers presented, abstracts, group pictures of attendees.
Big Ear Radio Observatory
- Radio astronomy and the search for extraterrestrial intelligence.
A Brief SETI Chronology
- A timeline of the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, from Morrison and Coconni to SETI@home.
The Cosmic Elk
- World history of astronomy and timekeeping with updates, and origins, based on original sources and places where possible.
The Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation
- Robert Woodrow Wilson Nobel Lecture.
Digital Archive of Historical Astronomy Pictures
- Images from the history of astronomy, old telescopes, pictures of astronomers, observatories.
Electronic Newsletter for the History of Astronomy
- Complete archive and subscription information.
From Stargazers to Starships
- Tutorial/historical exposition of the motion of Earth in space, Newtonian mechanics and spaceflight, on a high school level.
Gene Smith's Brief History of Astronomy
- Covers the development of this ancient science from days of Stonehenge (3100 BC) to the discovery of Pulsars (1968 AD). Includes related resource links.
- Archive of the History of Astronomy Discussion Group, the mailing list for scholars in this field.
Heavenly Mathematics: Cultural Astronomy
- An interdisciplinary course on cultural astronomy.
Hindu Cosmological Time Cycles
- An accurate calendar and the progenitor of the sexagesimal (base 60) "degree, minutes, seconds" measurement system.
- Yahoo group moderated by Stuart Williams, F.R.A.S.
Historical Astronomy Division
- American Astronomical Society division devoted to history, with a link to pages on the history of the society itself.
History and Philosophy of Western Astronomy
- The History chapter of an introductory astronomy course.
History of Astronomy
- Offers a history of the field and science. Features links to related sites, awards and contact details. Provided by the Working Group for the History of Astronomy.
History of SETI
- An overview of the history of the search for extraterrestrial intelligence using radio frequencies. Includes photos.
- Article by Owen Gingerich explores refinement and criticism of Ptolemaic astronomy, including religious influences on direction, and describes precursors to and influences on Copernicus.
Jewish Astronomy, From Ancient to Modern Times
- Astronomy in Israel from Og's Circle to the Wise Observatory.
King Edward VI's Defence of Astronomy
- Article by Heather Hobden on this historic document which shows the understanding of astronomy in the mid 16th century. Edward had his own astronomical instruments which are described.
Little Green Men, White Dwarfs or Pulsars?
- A personal account by Jocelyn Bell Burnell on the discovery of pulsars.
The Manchester Astronomical Society History
- The first hundred years, list of presidents, list of archived documents.
MuslimHeritage.com - Astronomy
- Articles on astronomers, observatories, work performed and its significance from the ninth to the fifteenth centuries.
Rundetaarn (The Round Tower)
- Astronomy in Denmark: Brahe, Roemer, Hertzsprung.
Russell A. Hulse - Nobel Lecture
- The discovery of the binary pulsar.
A Science Odyssey - Physics and Astronomy
- PBS articles about 20th century astronomy and physics.
The Society For The History Of Astronomy
- Academic and popular topics, with a focus on Britain.
The Star of Bethlehem
- An investigation of the science and history which bear on the mysterious star said to have accompanied the advent of Christ.
- Phase I of the Electronic History of Astronomy, developed in the Whipple Museum of the History of Science at Trinity College, Cambridge. Covers the history of instruments and techniques, themes such as astrology and calendar reform, and biographies of major historical astronomers.
Telescopes from the Ground Up
- The history of telescopes.
Understanding Tidal Friction
- Article by Peter Brosche on gaining understanding of changes in the Moon's orbit.
The Àryabhatíya of Àryabhata
- The oldest exact astronomic constant? The ratio of earth rotations to lunar orbits in Aryabhata's AD 498 writing.
" search on:
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: January 6, 2016 at 12:46:35 UTC -