become an editor
the entire directory
only in Cosmology/Dark_Matter
Science: Astronomy: Cosmology
- Homepage of the Cryogenic Dark Matter Search experiment at the University of California, Berkeley. The experiment uses a large germanium crystal cooled to 20 mK to search for weakly interacting, massive particles (WIMPs) - proposed constituents of dark matter.
Cosmic Hide and Seek: The Search for the Missing Mass
- Summary of the properties of dark matter, its influence on cosmic evolution, and the different ways it can be detected. Suitable for a general audience; by Chris Miller.
- Homepage of the CRESST experiment (Cryogenic Rare Event Search with Superconducting Thermometers), a European collaboration to search for particle constituents of dark matter in the Gran Sasso laboratories.
- Description of dark matter, its properties and consequences. Includes texts, plots, graphs and schematics. By Martin White (University of California, Berkeley).
Dark Matter Mystery
- Elementary introduction to dark matter, suitable for a general audience. The pages are part of the public outreach effort of the Chandra X-Ray Observatory, and hosted by Harvard University.
Direct Searches for Dark Matter
- A review of the methods and findings of searches for particle constituents of nonbaryonic dark matter. Requires some previous knowledge of particle physics and cosmology. By Bernard Sadoulet (Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and University of California, Berkeley). [PDF]
Discussion about Dark Matter
- Transcript of an on-air discussion between physicists Michio Kaku and Stuart Samuel on the subject of dark matter. Suitable for a general audience. Aired on WBAI's "Explorations in Science" on December 3, 1997.
The Early History of Dark Matter
- Article about the discovery of, and early research on, dark matter by Zwicky, Smith, Babcock and Oort in the 1930's and 1940's. By Sidney van den Bergh (Dominion Astrophysical Observatory, Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics, National Research Council of Canada).
Experimental Searches for Dark Matter
- Extensive review article about attempts to detect dark matter particles. Includes a summary of the observational evidence for dark matter, and accounts of the different principles of detection. By Timothy J. Sumner; published in "Living Reviews in Relativity".
Modified Gravity and the Phantom of Dark Matter
- J. R. Brownstein's Ph.D. Thesis on the modified gravity alternative explanation to dark matter, and a core-modified dark matter fitting formula.
Particle Dark Matter: Evidence, Candidates and Constraints
- Review article on particle dark matter, with a focus on experimental searches. Suitable for graduate students or advanced undergraduates. By Gianfranco Bertone, Dan Hooper and Joseph Silk.
Primer on Dark Matter
- Concise illustrated overview of the current status of dark matter. Some basic previous knowledge of astronomy is needed. By Mike Guidry (University of Tennessee, Knoxville).
The Search for Dark Energy and Dark Matter
- Video of a talk given by Stanford physicist Patricia Burchat at the 2008 TED conference.
UK Dark Matter Collaboration
- Homepage of a UK-based collaboration that, from 1987 to 2007, operated a series of underground detectors in search of weakly interacting massive particles – candidate constituents of dark matter.
What is Dark Matter?
- One-page explanation of dark matter from the Usenet Physics FAQ, written by Scott I. Chase.
- Homepage of a collaborative experiment that searches for dark matter constituents. Includes information about the experiment, the collaborators in the UK, Portugal, and Russia, and publications.
Found: Most of the Universe
- Article by "bad astronomer" Phil Plait on the COSMOS survey that has mapped the distribution of dark matter in the cosmos. Published in Seed magazine. (February 02, 2007)
Is Dark Matter Theory or Fact?
- As part of Scientific American's "Ask the Experts" series, physicists Rhett Herman of Radford University and Shane L. Larson of Montana State University give an accessible account of the evidence for dark matter. (June 15, 1998)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: April 30, 2015 at 12:45:14 UTC -