A Business and Economy category is for businesses and economic activities in a specific geographic area. It contains websites that are related exclusively to that entire geographic area or to more than one of the smaller geographic areas within it. (See Geographic categories.)
Most business topics are listed here. However, some types of businesses are located under other categories, such as the Arts and Entertainment, Recreation and Sports, and Travel and Tourism categories. If you are looking for a business related to one of our other listed topics, check there. For information applicable to all topical subcategories, see Topical subcategories.
Quite often most, or even all, of the sites in a category are those of individual businesses or institutions. Yet these categories are also appropriate for related sites, such as professional and trade organizations, and media articles profiling specific industries.
Subcategories of this category
Subcategories may be created when there are enough sites about a topic to make a separate subcategory desirable. Until then, the sites are listed in the main category.
Common subcategories include:
Contents for most of these is apparent from their titles. What follows are notes to clarify a few areas where we thought the title itself was insufficient:
|Advertising and Marketing|
Beauty and Cosmetic Services
Computers and Internet
Construction and Maintenance
|Home and Garden|
Marine Sales and Service
Real Estate (or the British version, Property)
Restaurants and Bars
- Advertising and Marketing - Includes agencies, consultants, services, and signage companies, but does not include photography and video production. Photography sites are listed in the Arts and Entertainment category. Video production sites are listed in the Business and Economy category (in the subcategory, when available, titled Industries: Entertainment: Audio and Video Production).
- Agriculture - For sites about the business of agriculture. A "Business and Economy: Agriculture" category is not to be confused with a "Science and Environment: Agriculture" category, which is for sites about the science and techniques of agriculture.
- Animals - Topics include breeders, kennels, livestock, pets, and veterinary services. Sites about animal welfare and animal shelters are not listed here, but are listed instead in the Society and Culture category (in the subcategory, when available, titled Animal Welfare).
- Beauty and Cosmetic Services - For websites about businesses whose primary focus is non-medical health and beauty services. Topics include beauty salons, make-up artists, tattoo studios, health spas, and massage therapists.
- Construction and Maintenance - Topics include architects, builders, janitorial services, and specialists in heating, air conditioning, and plumbing. Sites related to interior design and landscaping are not listed here, but are listed instead in the Business and Economy category (in the subcategory, when available, titled Home and Garden).
- Marine Sales and Services - Includes boat dealers, yacht brokers, marinas, and sellers of marine parts, accessories, and services. Businesses renting and chartering boats are listed in the Recreation and Sports category.
- Organizations - For groups promoting business in the area. Please note that a specific industry trade organization is often listed in the category for its industry.
- Services - For types of services not covered in other categories. Examples include appliance repair, child care, house-sitting, errand-running, piano tuning, and language translations.
- Shopping - For brick-and-mortar retail stores in the area. In addition, for countries other than the United States, a country-level category may also contain distance-shopping sites if the prices are quoted in the local currency and the products are shipped from that country.