become an editor
the entire directory
only in Arctic/Science_and_Environment
Science and Environment
Open Directory - Regional: Polar Regions: Arctic: Science and Environment
Regional: Polar Regions: Science and Environment
Alaska Wildlife Notebook Series
- Learn about wild animals inhabiting Alaska. Organized into categories.
Animals of the Arctic
- Educational materials on marine and land animals of the Arctic. Includes links a glossary, a bibliography, an Arctic-theme classroom activities page, and related sources.
- Information and research about the Arctic regions, including natural resources, history and culture, social equity and environmental justice. Virtual museum, virtual classroom, maps, and an Arctic forum.
Arctic Climate Impact Assessment
- A project of the Arctic Council and the International Arctic Science Committee (IASC), to evaluate and synthesize knowledge of the consequences of variability, change, and increased ultraviolet radiation. Includes links to detailed studies in PDF format, six by the Steering Committee and one from a modeling and scenarios workshop.
Arctic Climate System Study
- The scientific goal of this study is to ascertain the role of the Arctic in global climate change. Summary of the objectives and a diagram of the organisations structure.
Arctic Exploration Online
- Information on a scientific mission of the US Coast Guard icebreaker Polar Star, its crew, its discoveries, Arctic peoples, and the northern environment. Includes an image, sound, and video archive.
Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme
- International organization to implement components of the Arctic Environmental Protection Strategy. Provides information on the Arctic environment, and remedial and preventive actions relating to contaminants.
Arctic Research Consortium of the United States
- Information on the organization's mandate and activities, its projects, publications, directories of ARCUS member and researchers, and a searchable archive of current information funding opportunities, events, publications, positions, and news.
The Arctic Science and Technology Information System
- Database maintained by the Arctic Institute of North America at the University of Calgary containing over 46, 000 records describing publications and research projects about northern Canada.
Arctic Science Journeys Radio
- A free radio service offering stories about science, culture, and the environment of the Far North.
Arctic Theme Page
- Resources and lesson plans related to the study of the Arctic. Themes include the flora, fauna, biomes, peoples, history, and exploration of the region.
Aurora Research Institute
- Provides research licensing and logistics support to researchers working in Canada's Western Arctic.
- An information resource for the scientific investigation of the biology, oceanography, meteorology and ecology of the area. It provides a forum for presenting and discussing new ideas, plans, research results, and links to other sites.
Canada's Polar Life
- Information about environments, geography, organisms, and research, along with photographs.
Canadian Arctic Resources Committee
- A citizens' group devoted to protecting northern Canada. Includes a searchable archive of CARC briefs, papers, and the Committee's online journal Northern Perspective.
Canadian Ice Service
- An Environment Canada department that provides information about ice conditions in Canadian waters. Includes current ice charts, data on ice thickness, bulletins, and a glossary.
Circumpolar Arctic Vegetation Mapping Project
- Research project aiming to provide a variety of mapped vegetation information for the arctic tundra regions, based on the most recent scientific understanding of the areas.
Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory Library
- An online library on the Arctic region with a virtual reference desk. Includes information on finding journals, books, websites, statistics, databases, and research reports related to cold regions research.
Conservation of Arctic Flora and Fauna - CAFF
- Information on protecting Arctic species and their habitats. Includes an overview of the Conservation of Arctic Flora and Fauna program, maps, documents, and research projects.
Interagency Arctic Research Policy Committee
- Lead United States government agency responsible for implementing arctic research policy and to help set priorities for future Arctic research.
International Arctic Buoy Programme
- Maintains a network of automatic buoys in the Arctic Basin which monitor pressure, temperature, and ice motion data to support real-time operations and meteorological and oceanographic research.
International Arctic Research Center [IARC]
- IARC is a focal point of integrating/synthesizing arctic research efforts in terms of climate change and communicates the results to the global climate research community.
International Bering Sea Forum
- US and Russian scientists, indigenous leaders, environmentalists, and fishermen committed to sustainable management of the Bering Sea ecosystem. Includes information about threats, including overfishing, climate change, and pollution.
Nansen and Amundsen Basins Observational System
- Provides information about this proposed monitoring system of the Eurasian Basin of the Arctic Ocean. Includes objectives, funding, partners, technology, and contact information.
North Pole Environmental Observatory
- Continuously monitors atmosphere, ocean, and sea ice conditions in the central Arctic Ocean. Describes the background and purpose of the observatory, and includes graphs and statistics.
Polar Science Center
- A unit of the Applied Physics Laboratory at the University of Washington that studies of oceanography, meteorology, and ice conditions in the Arctic.
Smithsonian Institute - Arctic Wildlife
- Arctic Studies Center's offers an introduction to the survival skills of birds and mammals of the north polar region. Page includes nature photos.
Surface Heat Budget of the Arctic Ocean
- Coordinated project to investigate the role of arctic climate in global change. List of journal articles, some of which are also provided to download as PDF files.
WWF Arctic Programme
- The Arctic programme of worldwide environmental NGO WWF, based in Oslo. Quarterly bulletin on current issues.
Eyewitness: Tragedy of Soviet nuclear submarine K-27
- The BBC speaks to Vyacheslav Mazurenko, who when 22 was serving as a chief warrant officer on a Soviet nuclear-powered submarine, the K-27. He and others were poisoned when a liquid metal-cooled reactor leaked. The submarins was later sunk into the Kara Sea. (January 24, 2013)
Russia explores old nuclear waste dumps in Arctic
- The BBC reports on Soviet nuclear mess, dumped into the Arctic. (January 24, 2013)
Ages-Old Polar Icecap Is Melting, Scientists Find
- NY Times article about the discovery of an ice-free patch of ocean near the North Pole. (August 19, 2000)
Science and Environment
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Friday, November 1, 2013 11:40:30 AM EDT -