become an editor
the entire directory
only in Washington,_DC/Government
Fire Fighting Services
Regional: North America: United States: Government
Washington, District of Columbia
- The official web site of the Government of the District of Columbia. Includes news, web links, and information about the city and about local government services.
211 Answers, Please!
- Information and referral service that connects residents with public and private social service agencies. Search or browse its database of service providers.
Advisory Neighborhood Commissions
- Neighborhood bodies that advise the District government on issues affecting their local areas. Has a directory of ANCs, including members, meeting schedules and contact information.
Business Resource Center
- Provides information and technical assistance to businesses. Includes news, information on government services and regulations, and market information.
Child and Family Services Agency
- Information on adoption, foster care, and child protective services.
Clean City Initiative
- Describes government programs to improve city cleanliness.
Commission on the Arts and Humanities
- Promotes local artists and arts activities. Includes information on grants and art education.
DC Lottery and Charitable Games Control Board
- DC Lottery news and brief overview of games offered.
DC Water and Sewer Authority
- Provides drinking water and wastewater treatment for the District of Columbia and wastewater treatment for surrounding Maryland and Virginia suburbs. Includes news, publications, customer information, online account services and job information.
Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs
- Regulates businesses, issues business and alcoholic beverage licenses, and regulates historic preservation, rental housing and real estate. Site has downloadable forms and tells how to get permits and licenses.
Department of Corrections
- Operates the DC Jail and other correctional facilities. Site has information and statistics.
Department of Employment Services
- Provides services to employers, employees, and job-seekers, including job training, workers' compensation, and unemployment compensation.
Department of Health
- Describes the agency's programs, such as addiction, HIV/AIDS, nutrition, medical insurance, preventive health, and environmental services. Includes a calendar of events, health alerts, news releases, reports, and information on licenses and on birth and death certificates.
Department of Housing and Community Development
- Describes home buyer assistance programs and housing-related development incentives.
Department of Human Services
- Information on such programs as welfare reform, family services, early childhood development, rehabilitation services, mental retardation and developmental disability services.
Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking
- Regulates financial service firms. Includes forms, licensing information, consumer information and regulatory texts.
Department of Mental Health
- Describes the agency, its facilities (including St. Elizabeths Hospital), and its services for adults and children.
Department of Motor Vehicles
- Provides information on driver's licenses, auto registrations and auto inspections.
Department of Parks and Recreation
- Describes recreational facilities and programs, including classes, sports leagues, and child care.
Department of Public Works
- Has information on trash collection, recycling, street cleaning and other services.
Department of Transportation
- Provides access to transportation-related services and information.
District Department of the Environment
- Promotes energy efficiency through conservation, education, and fuel assistance programs and by regulatory intervention. Includes consumer information, a description of agency programs, a guide to resources in its library, an events calendar, and links to related sites.
District of Columbia Sentencing Commission
- Reviews and recommends sentencing policy to the District Council. Has meeting minutes, reports, legislation and news.
Emergency Management Agency
- Coordinates the response to disasters, emergencies, and severe weather. Includes news and emergency guidelines.
Housing Finance Agency
- Issues bonds to expand home ownership and rental housing. Has news and background information on local housing development programs.
Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments
- Composed of 17 local governments in the area, plus legislators representing the region. Site describes programs dealing with transportation, the environment, housing, and other regional issues.
Office of Boards and Commissions
- Describes government boards and commissions and the appointment process for board members.
Office of Cable Television and Telecommunications
- Regulates cable television. Site has information on cable franchise agreements and program schedules of city-operated cable channels.
Office of Citizen Complaint Review
- Investigates and adjudicates complaints of police misconduct. Information on complaint procedures, printable forms, news releases, and reports.
Office of Community Affairs
- Serves as a liaison between government and community organizations. Directory of civic and neighborhood associations and links to a calendar of community events and meetings.
Office of Contracting and Procurement
- Describes the requirements for doing business with the city and lists current bid solicitations.
Office of Human Rights
- Deals with issues of discrimination, equal opportunity and human rights. Site has information on filing discrimination complaints and on the agency's mediation procedures. Some pages also in Spanish.
Office of Motion Picture and TV Development
- Promotes the city as a site for film and TV production. Includes a guide to production services, permit application form, and filmography.
Office of Partnerships and Grants Development
- Helps local government agencies and non-profit groups apply for Federal grants and develop joint public-private grant proposals. Includes a guide to web resources on obtaining grants and writing proposals and a weekly update on grant opportunities.
Office of Personnel
- Describes city government employment policies, job opportunities, pay, benefits, and training. Includes forms and manuals.
Office of Planning
- Develops plans for city development and neighborhood revitalization. The city's Comprehensive Plan, project reports, news, and historic preservation information and guidelines.
Office of Property Management
- Acquires and manages properties for DC government agencies. Includes agency description, reports and documents.
Office of the Chief Financial Officer
- Oversees DC government finances, budget, and taxation. Site has downloadable tax forms and publications, budget and financial reports, a searchable real property tax database, and information on community development incentive programs and other activities of the agency.
Office of the Chief Technology Officer
- Plans and oversees computer and other technology systems for government agencies. Site describes programs and has an archive of news releases.
Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development
- Includes news, press releases, strategic plan, directory of business resources, and information on programs such as development incentives for housing and small business, development areas, and the DC Enterprise Zone.
Office of the District of Columbia Auditor
- Audits the accounts and operations of the DC government. Archive of recent reports.
Office of the Inspector General
- Investigates government agencies and programs. Site has reports and testimony and tells how to report fraud and waste.
Office of the People's Counsel
- Represents the interests of utility ratepayers. Information on local utilities and consumer complaints.
Office of the Secretary
- Issues ceremonial documents and maintains official record collections, among other duties. Site tells how to request ceremonial documents, apply for research access to official records, and apply for a notary public commission.
Office of Zoning
- Zoning information, history, maps, application forms, news releases, and a searchable data base of regulations and hearing transcripts.
Office on Aging
- Site describes services the agency provides to the elderly population, including health care, housing, legal assistance and transportation.
Office on Asian and Pacific Islander Affairs
- Information on the office, its services, and the Asian-Pacific Islander community in Washington, DC.
Office on Latino Affairs
- Provides information on city services for the Latino community.
Public Charter School Board
- Includes list of charter schools, application information, press releases, reports, and other documents.
Public Employee Relations Board
- Resolves labor-management disputes between city agencies and labor organizations. Site describes the complaint, dispute resolution, and hearing/mediation process and has text of the board's rules.
Public Service Commission
- Regulates electric, gas and telephone utilities in the city. Site has information for utility customers, case calendar, hearing transcripts, and the text of commission rulings, regulations and other documents.
- Site of the DC Commission on National and Community Service, which promotes volunteerism and organizational partnerships for community benefit. Has information about the agency, its programs and volunteer opportunities.
Sports & Entertainment Commission
- Schedule of upcoming events at RFK Stadium and DC Armory and seating diagrams.
- Includes requirements for chauffeur and hack licenses, list of taxicab companies, and municipal regulations relating to taxicabs.
Washington Convention Center
- Information for meeting planners, exhibitors, vendors and attendees. Has a calendar of events, visitor information (hotels, restaurants, parking), and background on the convention center.
Washington, DC Comprehensive Plan
- DC Office of Planning site has information on the Comprehensive Plan that guides the growth of the city. Has information on the planning process, a calendar of meetings and events, and a library of documents. Sign up to participate in the community feedback program.
Workforce Investment Council
- A public-private advisory body on workforce development issues. Site describes services available to employers, youth training services, and business incentives and has links to other sources of information.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: May 27, 2014 at 13:28:14 UTC -