become an editor
the entire directory
only in Society_and_Culture/History
Society and Culture
Lower Rio Grande Valley
1947 Texas City Disaster
Galveston Hurricane of 1900
New London School Disaster
Regional: North America: United States: Texas: Society and Culture: Genealogy
Society: History: By Region: North America: United States
Society: Issues: Territorial Disputes: United States: Texas
Texas Historical Commission
- A state agency based in Austin dedicated to historical preservation of Texas' architectural, archaeological, and cultural landmarks. Includes historic sites atlas, Texas Military Heritage, library, courthouse and main street preservation information, trivia, and fun facts.
Texas State Historical Association
- Dedicated to foster the appreciation, understanding, and teaching of the rich and unique history of Texas.
36th Division Association
- History and photographs of the Texas Division.
- Artifact buyers and sellers. An online artifact auction.
Barker Center for American History
- Supports research and education by acquiring, preserving, and making accessible research collections and by sponsoring exhibitions, conferences, symposia, oral history projects, publications, fellowships, and grant-funded initiatives.
Commemorative Air Force
- An all-volunteer, non-profit organization whose purpose relates to the preservation, demonstration, and display of military aircraft through the ages.
The Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library
- Part of the Alamo historical complex in San Antonio, Texas. The library has been developed and is supported and maintained by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas for the use of all researchers. The non-circulating collections pertain to the history of Texas, San Antonio, and the Alamo.
Declaration of Independence of the Republic of Texas
- Text of the document.
East Texas Research Center
- Collects and preserves materials covering East Texas life, culture, economy, and history in its broadest aspects. It also acts as the university archives and special collections department for Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas.
- Birthplace of President Dwight D. Eisenhower in Denison, Texas, now a Texas Historic State Park. Pictures, paintings, poems, and history.
The Handbook of Texas Online
- A multidisciplinary encyclopedia of Texas history, geography, and culture.
History of the Texas-Louisiana Gulf Coast
- Articles by author and historian W. T. Block, Jr., who writes about the history of the Texas and Louisiana Gulf Coast.
Institute of Texan Cultures
- An educational center dedicated to enhancing the understanding of the history and diverse cultures of Texas through exhibits, programs, and publications. Located in San Antonio.
Irish Colonies of Texas
- History, biographies, settlers, and land titles about the Irish Colonies of Mexican Texas.
The Myth and Meaning of Texas Independence
- A historical look at March 2, 1836.
Portraits of Texas Governors - Texas State Library
- Features official portraits, mini-biographies, names, timeline of significant events, historic documents, and rare photos. Includes archives, and links.
Roots-L Texas: Military
- Texas genealogical and historical information and links.
- The history of a small rural community in west central Texas, from its establishment in the 19th century to its decline after World War II.
Sons of DeWitt Colony Texas
- Events in the region covered by the colony in the period 1700-1846, current Caldwell, Comal, DeWitt, Fayette, Gonzales, Guadalupe, Hays, Jackson, Lavaca, Victoria and Wilson counties.
State Preservation Board
- Purpose is to preserve the State Capitol and General Land Office buildings and grounds. Includes information on visitor's center, special events, and Capitol restoration project.
Texana Living History Association
- Provides first person living history presentations. Also provides 1800's campsites, and chuckwagon programs and Biographies of some famous 1800's Texans.
Texas Almanac: Texas History
- Includes timeline, Travis letter from the Alamo, and highlights of the state's history.
Texas Arrowheads and Indian Artifacts
- Photo gallery of arrowhead and artifact types found in Texas with information about lithic technology.
Texas Conservation History
- A guide to the records on individuals who have led in the effort to protect Texas natural resources.
The Texas Constitutions Digitization Project
- Presents the historic constitutions and constitutional convention materials of Texas spanning 1824-1876.
The Texas Empire - American Local History Network
- Offers information pertaining to exhibits and artifacts of historical significance. Provides assistance to contributors publishing data to internet community. Member ALHN. Includes links.
Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program
- By the Texas Historical Commission, features history of the courthouses in Texas, grants available, and programs.
Texas Historic Sites Atlas Home Page
- The Texas Historic Sites Atlas is a searchable database documenting more than 100,000 historic places and structures through site records and interactive maps.
Texas Landmarks and Vanished Communities
- Directory of ghost towns, former communities, and landmarks listed by county.
Texas Memorial Museum
- Established by the Texas Legislature to document, preserve, exhibit, and study the incredible natural and cultural heritage of the state.
- Article, with bibliography, on the study of prehistorical people and cultures in the state.
Texas Research Helps
- Directory of sites on history and genealogy in the state.
Texas State Library and Archives Commission
- Home to the official archived history of Texas.
Texas Transportation Archive
- Places online special collections material relating to transportation history of Texas and the surrounding states. Primary emphasis is on railroad and forest history. Secondary emphasis is on the region's riverboat and stagecoach history.
- Features images of artifacts and historic documents held by the Texas State Archives, including the famous Travis letter from the Alamo.
The Texian Web
- Dedicated to the scholarly and historically accurate depiction of Texas History. This family-oriented educational resource is suitable for use by all ages.
Val Verde County Historical Commission
- Dedicated to preserving our county's many historical landmarks. Site includes historical marker text, as well as additional information concerning historical places, people and events that were part of Val Verde, Texas.
World War II Units
- History of the units from Texas.
WPA Life Histories from Texas
- First person accounts of life in the state. Collected by the Federal Writers' Project of the Works Progress Administration during the Depression.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: December 21, 2015 at 6:15:06 UTC -