"Sweeny, also known as Adamston, is southwest of Angleton in west central Brazoria County. Imla Keep, a doctor and one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, received title to a league and labor of land that included the site of Sweeny... The town was named for the family of John Sweeny, who arrived from Tennessee with family members and 250 slaves in 1833... Sweeny benefitted from the development of the Old Ocean oilfield, discovered in 1934... Phillips Petroleum purchased the government carbon black plant built at Sweeny in 1942 and local facilities for making aviation gasoline. It subsequently developed these facilities into a refinery, natural gas liquids center, and petrochemicals complex with pipelines to markets east of the Mississippi."
Related categories 2
Last update:December 19, 2016 at 6:16:47 UTC