Matagorda is near the Colorado River mouth and East Matagorda and Matagorda bays, on State Highway 60 and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe line in southern Matagorda County. The community was established after Stephen F. Austin secured permission in 1827 from the Mexican government to build a town to protect incoming settlers...After World War II Matagorda became a tourist and resort community. Plans for a jetty system at the Colorado mouth promised better fishing and recreation. In 1990 the population was 605, with some seven businesses.
Related categories 2
Last update:May 12, 2016 at 20:10:37 UTC