Castroville, the "little Alsace" of Texas, is located on the Medina River and U.S. Highway 90 twenty-five miles west of San Antonio in eastern Medina County. The town was named for its founder, Henri Castro, with whom the Republic of Texas negotiated an empresario contract on January 15, 1842. Castro's grant began four miles west of the Medina River and comprised frontier lands in Comanche territory. Wanting to locate his first settlement on the Medina River, Castro purchased the sixteen leagues between his grant and the river from John McMullen of San Antonio.
Castroville Local News: Topix
Local, regional, and statewide news collected from diverse sources on the web.
Handbook of Texas Online: Castroville
Offers a history of the town.
Moye Retreat Center
Historic retreat center for individuals of all beliefs; includes history details, Heritage Day information, photos, retreat schedule, and contact information.
Last update:October 18, 2016 at 13:54:06 UTC