Twiggs was the name of a small village 10 miles south of Anderson on the road to Augusta until the Savannah Valley railroad was completed in 1884, when the name was changed to Starr Station in honor of the first popular railway engineer by that name. For almost a century, the surrounding area was largely dominated by now disappearing cotton farms. The famous national amateur trap shooting champion Paul Earle and the nationally patronized Pruitt House, featuring weighted tables with fine foods, helped spread the fame of Starr. In 1979, town residents voted to remain incorporated the way it had been since 1906, defeating a proposal to abolish the town from maps.
Related categories 1
Last update:June 29, 2014 at 17:15:07 UTC