become an editor
the entire directory
only in Society_and_Culture/History
Society and Culture
Open Directory - Regional: North America: United States: South Carolina: Localities: C: Charleston: Society and Culture: History
Regional: North America: United States: South Carolina: Society and Culture: History
Avery Research Center for African American History and Culture
- Located on the site of the former Avery Normal Institute. Founded in 1865, the Avery Normal Institute was a nationally-recognized African-American educational institution that trained young adults in professional careers and leaderships roles for nearly 100 years.
- History of the exposition held in 1901-1902 to highlight state industry and its potential trade with the West Indies.
Charleston Heritage Federation
- Society committed to the historic preservation of colonial plantations, museums, art and architecture; includes details on members, tours, and maps.
- The history and development of Charleston, South Carolina, shown through original and antique maps. Also features books, and information about local sights and businesses.
Charleston Slave Badges
- Preview of and supplement to the book, Slave Badges and the Slave-Hire System in Charleston, 1783-1865.
Fort Sumter National Monument
- Brief history of the site where the first engagement of the Civil War took place on April 12 and 13, 1861.
Historic Charleston Foundation
- Information on a range of historic and preservation issues.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Friday, October 12, 2007 10:08:04 AM EDT -