become an editor
the entire directory
only in Politics/Transparency
Society and Culture
Open Directory - Regional: North America: United States: Society and Culture: Politics: Transparency
News: Media Industry: Watchdogs
Reference: Libraries: Government Documents
Regional: North America: United States: Government
Regional: North America: United States: Society and Culture: Politics: Fact Checking
Regional: North America: United States: Society and Culture: Politics: Issues: Money in Politics
Society: Issues: Government Operations
Society: Organizations: Nonprofit Resources: Research on Nonprofits
- Wiki about government and politics, from a libertarian, free-market perspective.
- "Dedicated to exposing the conservative movement's dishonest tactics, dismantling its extreme ideology, and shining light on the moneyed special interests that fund it."
- Works to expose unnecessary federal regulations, wasteful government spending and punitive tax policy.
The Center for Public Integrity
- Nonprofit, nonpartisan organization does investigations and analyses of public service, government accountability, and ethics related issues. Features news, projects and reports.
Code for America
- Non-profit enlists the talent of the web industry into public service to use their skills to solve core problems facing our communities. Includes blog, issues, projects, fellows and partners.
- Provides information on members of Congress including profiles and current news reports.
CREW Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington
- Watchdog group uses legal actions to target government officials who sacrifice the common good to special interests. Includes their blog, research and investigations, video and legal filings.
- Official U.S. government site providing increased public access to federal government datasets. Includes metadata, how to access the datasets, and tools that leverage them.
- Assessments of the performance of every Federal program and improvements, from the U.S. Office of Management and Budget.
- Monitors the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players in the form of TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews, and news releases. Offers email newsletter. From the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania.
Follow the Money
- Searchable database of state-level campaign contributions, searchable by candidate, contributor, office and state. Includes research and reports. From the National Institute on Money in State Politics.
- Collaborative encyclopedia providing news and information about the judicial system in the United States including federal and state courts, judicial selection, and the philosophy of law from a neutral perspective.
- Provides searchable databases of U.S. Congress information, including congressional staff salaries and privately financed travel.
- Combines data sets to illuminate the connections between campaign contributions, legislative votes, and support and opposition to key bills by interest groups and companies.
- Dedicated to media accountability, government transparency, and quality fact-based journalism. Examines stories published in the mainstream media, explores claims made by some of the more partisan political groups, and provides facts on issues, people and elections.
OMB - Earmarks Database
- Database of earmarks provided by the Congress for projects or programs, in appropriation and authorization bills, which circumvent the merit-based or competitive allocation process. From the U.S. Office of Management and Budget.
- News and official government data to track bills, votes, senators and representatives in the U.S. Congress. From the Sunlight Foundation.
- Guide to money in U.S. politics, including campaign money amounts and sources, searchable by party, candidate, lobbyist and election cycle. From the Center for Responsive Politics.
- Directory of American politics. Features links to information on ideologies, issues, parties and candidates.
- Project of the Tampa Bay Times to help people find the truth in Washington and the Obama presidency.
Project Vote Smart
- Non-partisan information on U.S. federal and state candidates, ballot measures, issues and legislation. Includes directory of national and state political resources.
ProPublica - Free the Files
- Project to identify secret donors who are funding outside groups to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to influence elections.
- Searchable database of how and where tax dollars are spent as a result of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
- Helping government and public sector organizations provide data to citizens, employees and developers to improve transparency, citizen service and fact-based decision-making through web, mobile and machine-to-machine interfaces. Includes online Open Data Field Guide and GovStat How-To Guide.
- Claims to make U.S. government data accessible to the public.
- Searchable database of each Federal award, providing the amount, name and location of the receiving entity, transaction type, funding agency, etc., from the Obama-Coburn Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act of 2006.
The White House - Open Government Initiative
- Official government site for open government, working to ensure the public trust and establish a system of transparency, public participation and collaboration.
- In-depth profiles of government decision-makers and institutions. Includes administration, legislators, governors, aides and committee staff, and experts at think tanks and interest groups.
NYTimes.com - Where Americans Most Depend on Government Benefits
- Interactive map showing, by county, the share of Americans’ income that comes from government benefit programs broken down by income support, veterans benefits, unemployment insurance, Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. (February 11, 2012)
NYTimes.com - What Percent Are You?
- Interactive feature showing how household income ranks in 344 zones across the United States. (January 15, 2012)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: February 12, 2014 at 15:04:53 UTC -