become an editor
the entire directory
only in Homeland_Security/USA_PATRIOT_Act
Society and Culture
USA PATRIOT Act
Effects on Libraries
Regional: North America: United States: Government: Intelligence
Society: Issues: Terrorism: Incidents: September 11, 2001: Backlash
Society: Issues: Warfare and Conflict: Specific Conflicts: War on Terrorism: Human Rights and Liberties
USA PATRIOT Act
- Bill summary, status and full text, from the Library of Congress.
ALA - USA Patriot Act Analyses
- LibGuide for the effect of the Patriot Act on library use regarding intellectual freedom, freedom of speech, privacy and the freedom to read. From the American Library Association, Office for Intellectual Freedom.
Bill of Rights Defense Committee
- Encourages local communities to take an active role in an ongoing national debate about antiterrorism measures, such as the USA Patriot Act, that threaten civil liberties guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. Features news, suggested actions, tools, impact of recent regulations, proposed legislation and a newsletter.
Homefront Confidential: The USA PATRIOT Act
- Analysis of the act's impact on journalism.
Jennifer Van Bergen - Repeal the USA Patriot Act
- Six-part series, originlly published in April 2002 in TruthOut, examining its impact on national security, civil liberty and the general public.
Ted Koppel On The Dangers Of The Patriot Act
- Offers a partial transcript from Ted Koppel's interview with representatives of the American Civil Liberties Union and the Justice Department.
Odd Bedfellows Fall in Line
- "Opposition to the Patriot Act creates unusual political alignments." [The Christian Science Monitor] (October 29, 2003)
A Guide to the Patriot Act
- Article describes the legislation, how it has been implemented and support and opposition to it. By Dahlia Lithwick and Julia Turner in Slate. (September 08, 2003)
Curtailing Online Education in the Name of Homeland Security
- The USA PATRIOT Act, SEVIS, and international students in the United States. [First Monday] (September 01, 2003)
The Impact of the USA PATRIOT Act: An Update
- Civil liberties analysis from The Free Expression Policy Project. (August 27, 2003)
Patriot Act Abuses Seen
- A report by internal investigators at the Justice Department has identified dozens of recent cases in which department employees have been accused of serious civil rights and civil liberties violations involving enforcement of the sweeping federal antiterrorism law known as the USA Patriot Act. [CBS News] (July 21, 2003)
The Price of Freedom
- "If the Patriot Act took our liberties away, would we notice?" Slate commentary by Michael Kinsley. (June 12, 2003)
Justice Dept. Lists Use of New Power to Fight Terror
- "In the most detailed public accounting of how it had used its expanded powers to fight terrorism, the Justice Department released information today showing that federal agents had conducted hundreds of bugging and surveillance operations and visited numerous libraries and mosques using new law enforcement tools." [New York Times] (May 20, 2003)
Republicans Want Terror Law Made Permanent
- New York Times article reports that some Congressmen want to repeal the Patriot Act's sunset provisions, but others oppose sacrificing civil liberties in the name of fighting terrorism. [Requires free registration.] (April 09, 2003)
University Bans Controversial Links
- The University of California at San Diego has ordered a student organization to delete hyperlinks to an alleged terrorist Web site, citing the recently enacted USA Patriot Act. [CNet] (September 26, 2002)
USA PATRIOT Act
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: December 2, 2015 at 8:15:03 UTC -