become an editor
the entire directory
only in Gun_Control/Guides_and_Directories
Society and Culture
Guides and Directories
Open Directory - Regional: North America: United States: Society and Culture: Politics: Issues: Gun Control: Guides and Directories
Society: Issues: Violence and Abuse: Research and Education
ATF Online - Statistics
- Statistics on firearms manufactured and exported, forms processed, theft and loss reports, and traced firearms. From the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
American Bar Association - Standing Committee on Gun Violence
- Addressing the problem of gun violence through public education, bar activation, and legislative effort aimed at reducing gun violence. Resources include research, links, and court decisions from the U.S. Supreme Court, U.S. Court of Appeals, U.S. Federal District Courts, and State Courts.
Bellevue University - LibGuides: Gun Control
- Resources categorized into books, e-books, video, databases, websites and organizations. Includes research tutorials.
Boston University - Research Guides: Guns and Gun Control
- Hardcopy and online resources grouped into databases, reference works, statistics and websites.
Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - Firearm Use by Offenders
- Publication detail of a study of 203,300 state and federal prisoners who carried a firearm during the offense for which they were serving time in 1997, including how they acquired their firearm. Includes press release, study, spreadsheet and full questionnaire.
Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - Firearm Use by Offenders
- Report of the study of 203,300 prisoners who carried a firearm during the offense for which they were serving time in 1997. Of the state prisoners, 39.6% acquired it from friends or family, 39.2% on the street/illegal source, 8.3% from a retail store, 3.8% from a pawnshop, 1.0% from a flea market, and .7% from a gun show. [PDF]
Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - Firearm Violence, 1993-2011
- Comprehensive 28-page report on fatal and nonfatal violent crimes committed with a firearm. Statistics include profiles of offenders, victims, crimes, locations, type of firearm and how acquired.
Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - Guns in America: National Survey on Private Ownership and Use of Firearms
- May 1997 report on U.S. gun ownership, acquisition, storage and uses. [PDF]
Children's Safety Network (CSN)
- National resource center for the prevention of childhood injuries and violence, offering expertise on a wide range of injury topics to state and territorial Maternal and Child Health (MCH) and Injury and Violence Prevention (IVP) programs.
Council on Foreign Relations - U.S. Gun Policy: Global Comparisons
- Statistical comparisons of the United States to Canada, Australia, Israel, United Kingdom, Norway and Japan.
- Database of social science, criminology, law reviews, medical and public health research concerning firearms (2000-2009), compiled by the Harvard Injury Control Research Center.
GunPolicy.org - United States: Gun Facts, Figures and Firearm Law
- Gun numbers, firearm homicide and crime, the impact of armed violence on health and development, gun laws and gun control in the United States. From the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs.
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health - Center for Gun Policy and Research
- Dedicated to reducing gun-related injuries and deaths through the application of strong research methods and public health principles. Provides research, publications, education, and resources.
Just Facts - Gun Control
- Information about guns and gun control through studies, statistics, and published facts.
NCJRS - Weapons Violations
- Provides information related to weapons violations including background checks, straw purchases and stolen firearms. From the National Criminal Justice Reference Service.
NCJRS - Youth Violence
- Special Feature contains links to publications and resources related to different aspects of youth violence. From the National Criminal Justice Reference Service.
National Criminal Justice Reference Service - Gun Violence
- Provides information related to gun violence including Q&As, publications, CrimeSolutions.gov programs, and other resources. From the National Criminal Justice Reference Service.
OSF - Gun Control in the United States
- April 2000 report was the first comprehensive state-by-state look at the gun laws in the United States. From the Open Society Foundations (OSF).
Poynter - What Journalists Need to Know about Guns and Gun Control
- Basic primer provides gun and ammunition terminology, federal laws, statistics, the history of gun control efforts since 1791, and online resources.
ProQuest - Gun Control
- Selected bibliography for current events research includes statistics,legislation, hearings, reports and documents.
Project Vote Smart - Gun Issues
- Provides information on key votes in Congress, public statements by the White House, interest group ratings of the president, and state ballot measures.
Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania - Gun Control
- LibGuide contains resources related to issues of gun control, weapons bans, and justice.
UC Davis Health System - Violence Prevention Research Program
- Addressing the causes, nature, and prevention of violence with a current emphasis on the prediction of criminal behavior, the effectiveness of waiting period/background check programs for prospective purchasers of firearms, and the determinants of firearm violence. Provides publications, references and resources.
University of Illinois Library - LibGuides: Gun Control
- An Undergraduate Library Subject Guide providing suggested resources and other information for beginning research on the topic of Gun Control. Includes overview, background, statistics, organizations, and finding articles and books.
University of Pennsylvania - Firearm & Injury Center
- Provides research and projects, statistics, briefs, reports and resources related to firearm injuries.
University of Utah - Firearms Tutorial
- Tutorial designed to provide a working knowledge of the types of firearms, the types of ammunition used, the nature of injuries that can be produced in the body, and the investigative techniques employed by the forensic pathologist in assessing firearms injuries.
Vanderbilt University - Gun Control: Issues and Groups
- Library guide to online resource sites including basic, government, indices and directories, interest group and other political sites, statistics, news and media, research centers and other educational sites.
Wikipedia - Gun Politics in the United States
- Crowd-sourced encyclopedia article about the current status and history of the country's gun policy and legislation.
PolitiFact - Special Report: Examining the State of Gun Research
- Explains why and how the NRA virtually shut down all federally sponsored research on guns and gun violence after 1994. Includes extensive list of sources. (April 26, 2013)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 11:32:12 AM EDT -