become an editor
the entire directory
only in Appalachia/Society_and_Culture
Society and Culture
Open Directory - Regional: North America: United States: Regions: Appalachia: Society and Culture
Regional: North America: United States: Regions: Mid-Atlantic: Society and Culture
Regional: North America: United States: Regions: South and Southeast: Society and Culture
Regional: North America: United States: Society and Culture
Appalachia Service Project
- A Christian home repair/home building ministry through which volunteers and staff repair and build homes for low-income families in rural Central Appalachia. Program information, volunteer opportunities, background on regional issues, and essays.
Appalachian Community Fund
- Provides funding for social change to community and grassroots organizations in Central Appalachia, including West Virginia, eastern Kentucky and Tennessee, and southwest Virginia. Information about programs, issues, and the grant process.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Tri-State Area
- Non-profit agency that serves at-risk youth from single parent homes in Kentucky, Ohio and West Virginia, and pairs them up with an adult volunteer for the purpose of friendship and guidance.
Central Appalachian Network
- Multi-state network working to build a healthy regional economy in Central Appalachia. Promotes economic justice through ecologically sustainable rural development strategies, local self-reliance and innovative community building.
Hillbilly Highway: Appalachia and America
- Syllabus and readings for University of North Carolina seminar on the history, politics, and culture of the Appalachian region.
- Weblog focuses on Appalachia's past, with links to newspapers, media outlets, and other resources in the region.
The Mountain Laurel
- An online journey into the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains, featuring stories and photos of the people and cultural heritage of the region along the Blue Ridge Parkway.
The Virginia Creeper
- Devoted to preserving and promoting Appalachian history.
Western Carolina University - Mountain Heritage Center
- Online exhibits, educational programs, and publications on the natural and cultural heritage of the Southern Appalachian region.
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette series on changes in the region 35 years after President Johnson launched the War on Poverty. (November 01, 2000)
Society and Culture
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Friday, June 1, 2012 5:54:03 AM EDT -