become an editor
the entire directory
only in Appalachia/Science_and_Environment
Science and Environment
Open Directory - Regional: North America: United States: Regions: Appalachia: Science and Environment
Regional: North America: United States: Regions: Mid-Atlantic: Science and Environment
Regional: North America: United States: Regions: Northeast: Science and Environment
Regional: North America: United States: Regions: South and Southeast: Science and Environment
Regional: North America: United States: Science and Environment
Alliance for the Cumberlands
- Partnership of public and private organizations working for ecological and economic sustainability in the Cumberland Mountains and Plateau region of Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, West Virginia, and Virginia.
Appalachia Science in the Public Interest
- Programs, publications, and demonstrations intended to promote sustainable development in low-income regions of central Appalachia.
Appalachian Coal Country Watershed Team
- Program, supported by VISTA volunteers, assisting watershed organizations in impoverished coal regions with education activities, obtaining grant funds, monitoring water quality, and other efforts.
Appalachian Forest Resource Center
- Fosters and supports community forestry activities throughout the Central and Southern Appalachian region. Includes events, maps and bibliography.
- Environmental research facility of the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science in the mountains of western Maryland. Conducts research in ecology and conservation biology in Maryland and other locations.
- Nonprofit organization concerned with fragile and threatened native ecosystems of the region, from Alabama to Maine. Information about chipmills, strip mining, mountaintop removal, air pollution, commercial logging on public lands, and other issues.
Center for Coalfield Justice
- Organized to inform and educate the public about the effects of mining on the environment and on communities in the coalfields. Operates in southwestern Pennsylvania, southeastern Ohio and northern West Virginia.
Eastern Coal Region Roundtable Watershed Forum
- Part of a national effort, spearheaded by EPA, and other federal agencies, to bring together diverse partners to address watershed restoration issues.
Forests of the Central Appalachians Project
- Profiles some ecological research on the Central Appalachian forests of Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania, which are stated to be some of the most biologically diverse and threatened ecosystems anywhere.
National Committee for the New River
- Nonprofit organization working to protect and enhance the natural and cultural resources of the New River and its watershed in North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia. Includes information about current issues and activities.
Southern Appalachian Man and Biosphere Program
- Consortium of federal and state agencies promoting the enhancement of environmental health, economic use, and cultural values across the Southern Appalachians.
Science and Environment
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 3:35:11 PM EDT -