Bertie was formed in 1722 from Chowan. It was named in honor of James Bertie, a Lords Proprietor. It is in the northeastern section of the State and is bounded by Albemarle Sound, Chowan River, and Washington, Martin, Halifax, Northampton and Hertford counties. Its land area is 698.88 square miles and its population in 1990 was 20,388. An act of 1743 provided that the courthouse, etc., "shall be built between Cusby Bride and Will's Quarter Bridge." Windsor was established in 1766 and was made the county seat in 1774.
Last update:June 4, 2016 at 12:32:00 UTC