Anson was formed in 1750 from Bladen. It was named in honor of George, Lord Anson, a celebrated English admiral who circumnavigated the globe. It is in the south center section of the State and is bounded by the state of South Carolina and Union, Stanly, and Richmond counties. Its land area is 531.41 square miles and its population in 1990 was 23,474. From 1755 to 1780 the county seat was called Anson Court House. In 1782 and 1783 laws were passed concerning the courthouse. In the latter year New Town was authorized to be established. In 1787, Newton, the county seat, was changed to Wadesboro. Wadesboro is the county seat.
Last update:June 4, 2016 at 12:31:03 UTC