Alexander was formed in 1847 from Iredell, Caldwell, and Wilkes counties. It was named in honor of William J. Alexander of Mecklenburg County, several times a member of the Legislature and speaker of the House of Commons. It is in the west central section of the State and is bounded by Iredell, Catawba, Caldwell, and Wilkes counties. The present land area is 260.51 square miles and the 1990 population was 27,544. The court was ordered to be held at James's Cross Roads until the county seat could be established. Commissioners were named to select a site for the county seat as near the center as possible, to acquire land, lay off the town of Taylorsville, and erect public buildings. Taylorsville is the county seat.
Last update:June 4, 2016 at 12:30:47 UTC