Voorheesville, New York, is a village in the town (township) of New Scotland and the county of Albany. The village was founded in the 1860s at the place where the Albany & Susquehanna and the Hudson River & Saratoga railroads crossed. Albany attorney Alonzo P. Voorhees built a house by the tracks in 1867 and, the next year, requested a U.S. Post Office. When the postal service asked what to call the location, he suggested Voorheesville. The village was briefly known as Farlin from 1890-92. Voorheesville became a place to get away from the heat of the city (Albany) in the latter years of the 19th century and is now a distant suburb for Albany. The population in 1990 was just over 3200.
Related categories 2
Last update:June 20, 2015 at 5:45:08 UTC