The town of Portville was formed from Olean, April 27, 1837. It lies on the southeast corner of the county. The surface is a hilly upland, with the summits being 500- 600 feet above the valleys. The Allegany River enters the town upon the southern border, flows north to near the center, and then northwest to the west border. It receives as tributaries the Oswaya, Dodges and Haskel Creeks. Lumbering is the chief pursuit. Portville is on the Allegany. In 1863, it contained 2 churches, 2 sawmills, and a gristmill. It had a population of 287. For sites covering the business and economic activities in Portville, New York, including listings of companies and industries.
Related categories 2
Portville Historical and Preservation Society
Collects, preserves and exhibits materials pertinent to the social and cultural development of the Town and Village. Includes current projects, publications, history, hours and contact information.
Portville Local News: Topix
Local, regional, and statewide news collected from diverse sources on the web.
Last update:January 19, 2017 at 16:05:06 UTC