Olean was formed March 11, 1808, and at first included the whole territory of Cattaraugus County. It lies upon the south line of the county, near the southeast corner. The surface is a hilly upland, separated into 2 distinct parts by the valley of the Allegheny. The highest points are 500-600 feet above the valley. Olean is on the Allegheny River, at the mouth of Olean Creek, and was incorporated in 1854. In 1863 it contained 6 churches, the Olean Academy, a newspaper office, a flouring mill, foundery, tannery, and 3 sawmills. Its population was 994 and is now 20,000. For sites covering the business and economic activities in Olean, New York, including listings of companies and industries.
Last update:November 14, 2016 at 0:46:18 UTC