The Village of Hobart was founded in 1797 and on May 26, 1888 became an incorporated Village. Hobart is situated on the Delaware River just below the village of Stamford. Previous to the formation of Delaware county, part of Hobart resided in Ulster County and part in Otsego County. Settlers came here prior to the revolutionary war and began a small settlement. The hamlet was known previously as Waterville. Later it was called Tinkertown from the fact that a man living here appropriated for use a full set of tinker's tools belonging to another man with which he set up business. When a Post Office was established, a new name was needed and the Name of Hobart was chosen. It was named for Bishop Hobart at the suggestion of Reverend Philander Chase. This category may contain sites in topical sub-categories as well as links to other geographic categories.
Related categories 3
Last update:October 11, 2007 at 0:44:35 UTC