Hampton Bays is situated on the South Shore of Long Island at the beginning of the South Fork. The community is bounded on the west by East Quogue, on the east by Southampton Village and Shinnecock Hills, on the north by Great Peconic Bay, and on the south by the Atlantic Ocean. The glacial Ronkonkoma Moraine runs through the north part of the community, with hills winding their way into Shinnecock Hills and eventually to Montauk. South of this hilly moraine, the land flattens into the sandy outwash plain leading to Shinnecock Bay and the barrier beach on the Atlantic Ocean. This area was not called Hampton Bays until 1922, previously eleven small hamlets, each containing no more than a dozen homes. Good Ground was the main hamlet in the area occupying roughly what is now Main Street, Hampton Bays. Other surrounding hamlets were Ponquogue, Squiretown, East Tiana, Canoe Place, Southport, Springville, Red Creek, West Tiana, Newtown, and Rampasture. Most of these hamlets were settled by one or two families and had their own school house.1 In 1922, as tourism from New York City increased in the surrounding villages such as Westhampton, Southampton and East Hampton, these hamlets, by now generally called Good Ground, consolidated under the name of Hampton Bays in order to reep some of the benefits in being part of the exclusive "Hamptons" tourist trade. This category may contain sites in topical sub-categories as well as links to other geographic categories.
Last update:November 20, 2016 at 3:54:09 UTC