become an editor
the entire directory
only in Genealogy/Organizations
Society and Culture
Regional: North America: United States: Society and Culture: Genealogy: Organizations
Western Michigan Genealogical Society
- This society was founded in 1954 and is located at the Grand Rapids, Michigan Public Library. Includes information on membership, meetings, publications, news, a message board and links. In addition to a quarterly magazine and an electronic newsletter, there are several on-line searchable databases including an index to Western Michigan newspapers and Kent County marriages.
Calhoun County Genealogy Society
- This society is located in Marshall,Calhoun County,Michigan. Information is provided on publications and other Calhoun County genealogy resources. A name index to their newsletter (1988-1995) is on site and images for nearly every issue of the newsletter (1988-2008) is also on site.
Charlevoix County Genealogical Society
- This society meets at the Boyne District Library. Their holdings, print and media publications and programs are on line as well as a mailing address.
Cheboygan County Genealogical Society
- This society was organized in 1979. Information includes contacts, their cemetery book for all the cemeteries in Cheboyan County and links.
Chippewa County Genealogical Society
- Founded in 1998 and located in Trout Lake, Michigan. Information on the society, membership and links can be found here.
Daughters of the American Revolution of Michigan
- The Michigan Society of the DAR was founded in 1900 and has 54 chapters. Includes officers, chairmen, State chapters, membership and genealogy links.
Dearborn Genealogical Society
- The society was founded in 1966 and meets at the Cherry Hill Baptist Church in Dearborn Heights, Michigan. Information on membership, meetings, publications, quarterly newsletter, and links are included. The Society has a Facebook page.
Delta County Michigan Genealogical Society
- This non-profit society was founded in 1981. It is located in Escanaba, Michigan and meets at the public library there. There are many databases including indexes to births (1867-1915), marriages (1862-1915), newspapers (1909-1919) and hospital records.
Department of Michigan, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
- Dedicated to preserving the memory of Union soldiers through grave registration, G.A.R. records retention, Civil War monuments preservation, and special ceremonies and services; includes information on membership, camps, events, queries, and quarterly newsletter the Michigan Messenger.
Detroit Society for Genealogical Research, Inc.
- This non-profit organization was founded in 1936 and is celebrating 77 years of service dedicated to aiding people in doing genealogical research. DSGR also publishes a quarterly magazine specializing in records of Michigan and Michigan source states and other publications to aid in genealogy research. There is a members only section on the web site and the society also has a Facebook page.
The Downriver Genealogical Society
- This society was founded in 1980. It is a 501(c)3 organization and serves southeastern Wayne County, Michigan, including the communities of Allen Park, Brownstown, Ecorse, Flat Rock, Gibraltar, Grosse Ile, Lincoln Park, Melvindale, River Rouge, Riverview, Rockwood, Southgate, Taylor, Trenton, Woodhaven and Wyandotte. The Society's genealogy collection is housed at the Lincoln Park Historical Museum in Lincoln Park,and the society meets at St. John's Church in Wyandotte. A current project is to scan 60 years of newspapers from Wayne County, Michigan.
Eaton County Genealogical Society
- This society was founded in 1988, is located in Charlotte, Michigan, and meets at the historic Eaton County courthouse there. Includes information on programs, membership, officers, publications, and links.
Emmet County Genealogical Society
- This society meets at the American Legion Hall, 455 Bay St., Petoskey, and includes information on membership, officers, cemeteries, and the Emmet County Civil War Research Project as well as many links.
Farmington Genealogy Society
- This society was founded in 1973 and meets at the downtown branch of the Farmington Library in Farmington, Wayne County, Michigan. Information on officers, publications, programs, and name index to 7,000 Farmington residents are on the site. They also have a Facebook page.
Flint Genealogical Society
- This non-profit organization was organized in 1956 and is located in Flint, Genesee County, Michigan and serves Flint, Genesse County and Mid-Michigan. They meet at the Burton Senior Citizen Activity Center. Their newsletter Trees & Pedigrees is online as well as a cemetery index and local resources.
Ford Genealogy Club
- Membership is open to employees and retirees of the Ford Motor Company and Visteon Corporation and others with connections to these companies. The club publishes a quarterly newsletter called The Rearview Mirror. Monthly meetings are held in Dearborn, Michigan on the second Thursday of each month.
Fred Hart Williams Genealogical Society
- This society was organized in 1979 and is located in Detroit, Wayne, Michigan and meets in the Fine Arts Room of the main Detroit Public Library. This society researches and preserves African American family history and publishes a newsletter twice a year. The site lists history, contacts calendar, and information on their traveling exhibit.
Freeport Genealogical Society
- This Society shares a website with the Freeport Historical Society and includes e-mail contact information. Meetings are held at 1275 Warren St., in Freeport, Barry County, Michigan.
French-Canadian Heritage Society of Michigan
- This non-profit organization was founded in 1980 to provide genealogical, educational, historical and cultural information about French-Canadians in North America, especially those in Michigan. Their journal, Michigan's Habitant Heritage, is published quarterly.
Gaylord Fact Finders Genealogical Society
- This society is located in Gaylord, Otsego County, Michigan. Information on membership, meetings, publications and materials available at the courthouse and Otsego County Library. The 1930 census index is on-line.
Genealogical Society of Flemish Americans
- This society is located in Roseville, Macomb County, Michigan, and is geared to people with Flemish and Belgian heritage. Includes information on their newsletter and library and also has over ninety links. Flemish T-shirts and caps are also for sale.
Genealogical Society of Washtenaw County, Michigan, Inc.
- This is a non-profit organization founded in 1974; membership is open to anyone interested in genealogy or local history. GSWC also publishes a quarterly magazine and a newsletter, and there are also many links.
Genealogists of the Clinton County Historical Society
- This society is located in St. John's, Michigan. Information includes projects, vital records, places, publications and membership.
The Gogebic Range Genealogical Society
- This society encompasses Gogebic County, Michigan and Iron County, Wisconsin. Site has a searchable obituary database of over 27,000 residents that lived on the Gogebic Range from 1887 to present. Members must log on to access photo archives, cemetery and veteran's records, and the newsletter.
Grand Traverse Area Genealogical Society
- This society was founded in 1979 and serves the Northern Michigan counties of Antrim, Benzie, Grand Traverse and Leelanau. It is located in Traverse City where they meet at the LDS Church.
The Gratiot County Historical and Genealogical Society
- This society was organized in 1978. The museum and library are located in Ithaca, Michigan where meetings are held at the genealogy library. Membership information, publications, events and links.
Harrison Area Genealogy Society
- This society is located in Harrison, Clare County, Michigan and meets the first Wednesday of the month at the Harrison Community Library, 102 N. Second & Main Street. Information can be found on the website on membership and publications such as cemetery books. The Clare County cemetery index is on-line. The society publishes a newsletter called Harrison Heritage.
Houghton-Keweenaw County Genealogical Society
- This society was founded in 1999, and alternates meetings in Houghton and Calumet in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Information includes local sources, cemeteries (with some photos), and newsletter on line which can be accessed by members only.
Huron Shore Genealogical Society
- The society was founded in 1982 and is located in Oscoda, Iosco County, Michigan. The meetings are at the Oscoda Baptist Church. Includes information on membership, meetings, research available and documents for sale.
Ingham County Genealogical Society
- This society was founded in 1995 and is located in Mason, Michigan where it meets at the Vevay Township Hall. An index to the Ingham County Democrat newspaper index (1876-1915) and a burial permit index (1932-2005) is on-line.
Ionia County Genealogical Society
- This non-profit volunteer society was founded in 1997 and meets at the Freight Station Museum in Lake Odessa, Michigan. Includes information on officers, meetings, upcoming events, and projects.
Irish Genealogical Society of Michigan
- This society was founded in 1996, and the meetings are held in the Gaelic League in Detroit. Includes membership application, information on trips and programs, and their surname publication, Our Roots Began in Ireland.
Jackson County Genealogical Society
- This society was organized in 1977 and is located in Jackson, Jackson County. Includes membership information, meetings, and resources available. The society publishes a bimonthly newsletter in an electronic format.
Jewish Genealogical Society of Michigan
- This society was founded in 1985 to create a wider interest in genealogy in the community and to educate members in the methodology of collecting Jewish family historical and genealogical data. Their library is located in Temple Beth El in Bloomfield Hills.
Kalamazoo Valley Genealogical Society
- This society founded in 1958 serves the Kalamazoo River Valley and southwest Michigan. Includes information on events, resources, publications, local history, committees and contact information. Part of the 1884 census for Kalamazoo County can also be found here.
Kalkaska Genealogy Society
- This society was founded in 1989, and has published a book "Big Trout Black Gold" which is the history of the early settlers of this county; ordering information is available. The indexes to the 1880 and 1900 censuses are also here.
Livingston County Genealogical Society
- This society was founded in 1982 and meets at the Church of Jesus Christ Later Day Saints in Howell, Michigan. Includes membership information, publications for sale, queries, and pioneer certificates.
Luce - Mackinac County Genealogical Society
- This society is located in Engadine, Michigan. Includes list of members, members interests, publications and local genealogy events.
Macomb County Genealogy Group
- Lists two publications for sale and a link to Macomb County Resources Page.
Marquette County Genealogical Society
- This society was organized in 1988 and is celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2008. It meets at the Peter White Public Library in Marquette, Michigan. Includes information on membership, meetings, current projects, publications and links to other Marquette County resources.
Mecosta County Genealogical Society
- The society meets at 424 Fourth Ave., Big Rapids, Michigan where they have a genealogy room. Information can be found here on membership as well as their indexing project. The society publishes a bi-monthly newsletter.
Michigan Genealogical Council
- Founded in 1972, the Michigan Genealogical Council is an organization composed of two members from each member society. Membership is open to any Michigan genealogical or family history society, amateur or professional, with a primary interest in genealogy. A community calendar, a list of member societies, membership information, special events, death without record, and publications are included.
Michigan Oakland County Genealogical Society
- This is non-profit organization founded in 1977 to promote and encourage an interest in genealogy and related fields. Includes information on membership, programs, and publications. A non-circulating library collection is maintained by the Society at the Oakland County Library, 1200 N. Telegraph Rd, Pontiac, Michigan.
Mid-Michigan Genealogical Society
- Located in Lansing, Michigan. Information on membership, officers, meetings, publications and quarterly newsletter. Some of the newsletters can be downloaded.
Montcalm County History & Genealogy Societies
- Lists address and contact information for Montcalm County area historical and genealogy societies. These include the Flat River genealogy and historical societies, the Belding Area Historical Society, the Ionia County genealogy and historical societies, and the Oakfield Pioneer Heritage Society and Museum. Links include county history, record archives and maps.
Muskegon County Genealogy Society
- This society was founded in 1972 and located in Muskegon, Michigan where it meets at the Muskegon County Museum. Includes information on meetings, upcoming events, research, databases and member pages.
Newago County Genealogical Society of History and Genealogy
- This non-profit historical preservation society was organized in 1966 and is located in Fremont, Michigan. The site includes information on membership and meetings. The Society is the keeper of St. Mary's Church in Croton Township and some meetings are held there. Donations accepted on-line via Pay Pal.
Northeast Michigan Genealogical Society
- This society is located in Alpena, Michigan, where meetings are held at the Jesse Besser Museum. It covers the Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency and Presque Isle counties. Includes information on membership, newsletter,publications and Alpena death records.
Northville Genealogy Society
- This society was organized in 1987 and is located in Northville in northwest Wayne County, bordering Oakland County, Michigan. Includes information on officers, membership, and meetings. Local records such as Plymouth Township Land Claims and most obituaries may now be found online in the new digitized version of the Northville Record newspaper.
Oceana County Historical and Genealogical Society
- This society was established in 1967, and is located in Hart,Michigan. Included on the site is information on their museums, including a slide show of current exhibits; and genealogy materials available for researchers.
Ogemaw Genealogical and Historical Society
- This Society was founded in 1978 and is located in West Branch, Michigan. Opening hours for the museum, mailing address and contact information are on the site.
Polish Genealogical Society of Michigan
- This society celebrated its 35th anniversary in 2013. Includes information on membership, meetings, surnames, and member queries. The society magazine The Eaglet is published three times a year. There is a members section on their newly revised web site.
Redford Township Historical and Genealogy Society
- This non-profit organization fosters family history and genealogy for the Redford Township, Michigan area. Information can be found here on officers, meetings, look-ups, and membership applications.
Roscommon County Genealogical Society
- This society was organized in September 1999 and is located in Prudenville, Michigan. Officers, members, and members surname interests as well as a downloadable request form are on the website.
Saginaw Genealogical Society
- This society was founded in 1971 and meets at the Hoyt Main Library. Information on memberships, list of publications, Saginaw library resources, obituary database, and also links to other societies in Saginaw County.
Sons of the Revolution in the State of Michigan
- The Sons of Revolution - Michigan is a member of the General Society Sons of the Revolution founded on December 18, 1875. Officers, U.S. chapters, and membership information is included.
St. Clair County Family History Group
- This society is located in Port Huron, St. Clair County, Michigan and meetings are held the 4th Wednesday of the month at 7:30 p.m. at the Port Huron Museum. Information on membership, publications, and research assistance are on this site.
St. Joseph County Genealogical Society
- The society meets at the Constantine Public Library, Constantine, Michigan. Includes information on officers, membership, research and holdings of the society such as five volumes of cemetery records.
Sterling Heights Genealogical and Historical Society
- This society which was founded in 1980 has been disbanded due to decreased membership. The web site is still up with information about their newsletter, publications, etc.
Stockbridge Area Genealogical and Historical Society
- This society is located in Stockbridge, Michigan and covers a large geographic area which includes parts of four counties - Ingham, Livingston, Jackson, and Washtenaw. Includes on-line databases and links.
Then and Now Historical and Genealogical Society of Eastern Allegan County
- The society's library is located at 1807 142nd Ave., in Dorr, Michigan. Site contains information on library holdings and hours, membership, and publications.
Trenton Historical Society
- The Trenton Historical Society is located in Room 1522 of the Trenton High School in Trenton, Michigan. The Room is open every Wednesday from 1p.m. until 3 p.m. Other times can be made available upon request. The Society has many records on-line of interest to genealogists including newspaper obituaries, City of Trenton death records and cemetery readings.
Tuscola County Genealogical Society
- This society is located in Caro, Michigan and meets at the Caro High School. Includes information on dues, collections, books, and newspapers plus research requests.
United States Daughters of 1812 - General Macomb Chapter
- The site lists their motto, purpose, membership information, chapter meetings, calendar of events and includes photo of the 108th State Chapter.
Van Buren Regional Genealogical Society
- This society is located in Decatur, Michigan, and promotes genealogy and family/local history research in Allegan, Berrien, Cass, Kalamazoo and Van Buren counties. Their quarterly publication is Van Buren Echos.
Warren Genealogy Group
- The Genealogy Group of Warren, Macomb County, Michigan is a part of the Warren Historical and Genealogical Society. Meetings are held in the Warren Historical Gallery/Office at the Warren Community Center, 5460 Arden, Warren, Michigan. They have a collection of Warren school yearbooks.
Western Wayne County Genealogical Society
- This society is celebrating its 35th year. Meetings are held are held at the Livonia Civic Park Senior Center Building in Livonia, Michigan. The site contains information on membership, meetings, and publications plus a Wayne County cemetery index.
" search on:
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: September 1, 2014 at 20:25:55 UTC -