Vergennes Township was first settled in 1836 by Sylvester Hodges of New York State, and organized in 1838, with Rodney Robinson as its first Supervisor. There were 19 families in the Township at that time. The land was an unbroken wilderness, which soon was converted into fine farms. Mills were erected on several streams, schoolhouses were erected, villages incorporated and commerce encouraged. The present City of Lowell and Vergennes were two sister towns, in substance, one settlement, which the township line about equally divided. Today, Vergennes is home to 3500 residents. Still rural in nature, the land is rolling and wooded where not farmed or otherwise developed. Lowell High School is located on Vergennes Road, near the intersection of Alden Nash which divides the township in half. Vergennes is also home to 1500 hundred acres of public land, including the 800 acre Lowell State Game Area. The 530 acre Fallasburg Park, one of the most popular parks operated by the Kent County Parks Commission, is located on the banks of the Flat River, a State designated Natural River, which traverses the Eastern side of the township. The township hosts an 18 hole golf course and several Bed and Breakfast operations, as well as the Lowell Airport, which is utilized by private aircraft.
Related categories 1
Last update:January 2, 2007 at 22:41:59 UTC