Chilmark [Dukes County] on the island of Martha's Vineyard had the legal status of "manor", in the ownership of Thomas Mayhew and his grandson until 1714, when it was incorporated as a town.

The Native American name for Chilmark is Nashowakemmuck, formed from two Algonquian words meaning "the half way house".

Today, the year-round population of Chilmark is roughly 1,000, swelling to over 6,000 in the summer months.

The town of Chilmark includes the area known as Menemsha.

Subcategories 4

Related categories 3

Abel's Hill Cemetery
Photographs, transcripts and information.
Annals of Chilmark
Reprint of pertinent pages from The History of Martha's Vineyard Volume II by Dr. Charles E. Banks, originally published in 1911.
The Chilmark Community Church
Located on Martha's Vineyard. Offers calendar, history, calendar, welcome, blog and RSS feed.
Commonwealth Communities - Chilmark
Information about Chilmark from state agencies.
Historical Records of Chilmark
Genealogical resource for information on early settlers, turn-of-the-century directories and other historical data.
Nomans Land
Reprint of pertinent pages from The History of Martha's Vineyard Volume II by Dr. Charles E. Banks, originally published in 1911.
Sculpture
Metal work of Graeme Bardlee, featuring fish, totem poles and modern pieces. Photos of works, some for sale, are included.
Town of Chilmark
Official municipal site.
The Yard
Performing artists' colony founded to provide contemporary dance artists to develop new works. Information on dance classes and workshops, performances, facilities, internship and programs.
[Splat Letter C]
Last update:
July 5, 2016 at 1:03:06 UTC
Regional
Science
Shopping
Society
Sports
All Languages
Arts
Business
Computers
Games
Health
Home
News
Recreation
Reference