Cataumet was originally inhabited and named by the Succonessitts Indians, a tribe belonging to the greater Cape Wampanoags. Eventually, the greater area was settled by colonists in 1640. While Jonathan Bourne, a whale-oil capitalist , showed interest in improving the condition of the local Indians, he also sought to replace their sacred deity Kiehtan with Christianity. Eventually, the culture of the Indians dissolved, but their naming of Cataumet remains today.
The village of Catumet contains many coves, sandbars and bogs for cranberry growing. It is one of the villages which comprise the Town of Bourne.
Related categories 3
Last update:October 9, 2007 at 19:01:08 UTC