become an editor
the entire directory
only in Society_and_Culture/History
Society and Culture
Open Directory - Regional: North America: United States: Illinois: Localities: C: Chicago: Society and Culture: History
du Sable, Jean Baptiste Point
American Airlines Flight 191 Crash
Great Fire of 1871
Trains and Railroads
World's Fairs and Expositions
Regional: North America: United States: Illinois: Society and Culture: History
1968 Democratic National Convention
- A chronology of events surrounding the 1968 Democratic National Convention, which sparked the Chicago Seven Trial. Includes links to related sites.
American Memory Historical Collections
- Over 55,000 photographs from the Chicago Daily News taken between 1902 and 1933. Collection is housed at the Chicago Historical Society.
- History of the German restaurant in operation from 1887 to 2006, and sales of memorabilia.
California Newsreel: Goin' to Chicago
- A film that traces the history the great migration of African-Americans from the rural South through the personal stories of a group of older Chicagoans born mostly in the Mississippi Delta. Overview of the story, the people, and offers video clips and archival resources.
Chicago Historical Society
- A privately endowed, independent institution devoted to collecting, interpreting, and presenting the rich multicultural history of Chicago and Illinois, as well as selected areas of American history, to the public through exhibitions, programs, research collections, and publications.
Chicago Illinois History In Vintage Postcards.
- Old postcards tell the story of Chicago's history. This is a non-commercial vintage postcard gallery as part of a tour of the USA in vintage postcards.
The Chicago Metro History Education Center
- An independent non-profit, educational program serving students, teachers, and parents in the city and in suburban Cook, Lake and DuPage counties.
Chicago Tribune: Tribune coverage of the E2 tragedy
- Portal of news articles related to the E@ nightclub where 21 people died early February 17, 2003 during a stampede.
Chicago Women's Liberation Union
- A history of the organization (1969-1977), as well as an archive of general documents from the second wave of feminism.
Chicago's Hyde Park Historical Society
- The Society's building, formerly the cable car waiting room for the 1893 Columbian Exhibition in Chicago's Hyde Park, contains archival material, books, photographs, posters and historic documents about the city's growth.
Chicago: City of the Century
- PBS American Experience Online's companion site to the television series. Includes maps, teacher's guide, and trivia.
Chicago: Destination for the Great Migration: African-American Mosaic Exhibition
- A Library of Congress online exhibit.
Dying Alone: The 1995 Chicago Heat Wave
- The 1995 heat wave killed more Chicagoans than the Great Chicago Fire. An interview with social historian Eric Klinenberg discusses the reasons why.
Eastland Disaster Historical Society
- Information, photos of artifacts, and links about the loss of over 800 lives in the wreck of the Eastland on July 24, 1915 on the Chicago River.
Historic Pullman Foundation
- Focused on preservation and restoration activities within the Pullman Historic District. Events and program calendars, location map and foundation activities.
Pullman Strike, The
- In 1894, the workers of the Pullman Palace Car Company began a strike that eventually became the first nationwide workers' strike. Provides history of the event, biography of Union president Eugene Debs, and bibliography.
World Wide Web Virtual Library: Chicago History
- Includes University of Kansas-maintained directory of resources relating to the city's history between 1803 and 1996.
NPR : Chicago's Firehouse Dogs
- Chicago has a long history of firehouse dogs. Brothers Trevor and Drew Orsinger have put together a book -- The Firefighter's Best Friend -- tracking their lives and legends. The Orsingers speak with NPR's Liane Hansen. [6:21 streaming audio broadcast.] (April 25, 2004)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: June 4, 2012 at 10:05:04 UTC -