This category is reserved for sites based in Fort Knox, Kentucky. Sites based in Elizabethtown, Radcliff, or other localities must be submitted there instead. American soldiers occupied the Fort Knox area as early as the Civil War. In 1862 the 6th Michigan Infantry constructed fortifications and bridges north of the present reservation boundaries. Fort Duffield, overlooking the town of West Point, was the site of one of these positions. Both the Union and Confederate armies operated in this area during the war. Union troops from the commands of Gen. Don Carlos Buell and Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman occupied Louisville and the hills overlooking the Ohio River. The brilliant Confederate cavalry leader from Lexington, John Hunt Morgan, raided the area with the 2nd Kentucky Cavalry in 1862, capturing several hundred federal troops. At present day Brandenburg in Meade County, west of Fort Knox, Morgan and his troops crossed river for his famous raid into Indiana and Ohio.

The government had considered this area as a site for a military post as early as 1903. The Army, that same year, held large-scale maneuvers in the area, particularly in and around the small agricultural village on Stithton. What was once the center of Stithton is today the area around the traffic circle on Chaffee Ave. The Main Post Chapel, the oldest building on post, was built as the village's St. Patrick's Catholic Church.

Congress designated Camp Knox as a permanent garrison on Jan 1, 1932, and changed the name to Fort Knox. On Jan 16, 1932 the 1st Cavalry Regiment -- the Army's oldest mounted unit -- arrived at Fort Knox and traded its horses for combat cars. (from the United States Army)

Subcategories 4

Related categories 2

Fort Knox, KY
Human resource center responsible for all soldier career management, from swearing in to departing service.
Army Recruiting Command
Provides the background information of the various organizations that make up USAREC. Links to local recruiting brigades and battalions, and recruiting station location search.
Ireland Army Community Hospital
Provides the community with primary and specialty care providers, and includes Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Services, outpatient pharmacy, and location.
Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor
Named after General George S. Patton, it was established to preserve historical material relating to Cavalry and Armor and to make these properties available to Armor soldiers and for public exhibit and research. Virtual tour and location.
[New United States Mozilla]
Last update:
June 25, 2015 at 5:24:13 UTC
Regional
Science
Shopping
Society
Sports
All Languages
Arts
Business
Computers
Games
Health
Home
News
Recreation
Reference