become an editor
the entire directory
only in Oak_Ridge_National_Laboratory/Research_Facilities
Department of Energy
DOE National Laboratories
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Open Directory - Regional: North America: United States: Government: Executive Branch: Department of Energy: DOE National Laboratories: Oak Ridge National Laboratory: Research Facilities
Buildings Technology Center (BTC)
- Research and development of technologies to improve the energy efficiency and environmental compatibility of residential and commercial buildings. Facilities are available to manufacturers, universities, and others for proprietary and nonproprietary research and development.
The Californium User Facility for Neutron Science (CUF)
- Promotes research and applications of Californium 252 produced at the neighboring High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR).
Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center (CDIAC)
- Global-change data and information analysis for the US Department of Energy (DOE). Compiles and maintains international data sets on atmospheric chemistry, particularly atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide, methane and other radiatively active gases.
Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences (CNMS)
- A collaborative nanoscience user research facility for the synthesis, characterization, theory, modeling, simulation, and design of nanoscale materials.
Center for Transportation Analysis (CTA)
- Research and development on transportation energy and environmental issues, national transportation planning and policy, and transportation systems engineering.
Electric Transmission & Distribution (ETD) Research Facilities
- Describes the National Transmission Technology Research Center (NTTRC) and the Powerline Conductor Accelerated Testing (PCAT) site, and facilities used for superconductivity research.
Envelope Systems Research Apparatus (ESRA)
- Used to study energy and moisture flow through walls and foundations, including photovoltaic test sections. Includes a system that does automatic, continuous data acquisition. [Requires JAVA]
Fuels, Emissions and Engines Research Center (FEERC)
- Specializing in the development and characterization of advanced fuels, engines, and emissions-control technologies utilizing unique diagnostic and measurement tools.
Holifield Radioactive Ion Beam Facility (HRIBF)
- Producing high quality beams of short-lived, radioactive nuclei for studies of exotic nuclei and astrophysics research.
Large-Scale Climate Simulator
- The Large Scale Climate Simulator provides controlled conditions of temperature and humidity above and below test sections as big as 12.5 ft. by 12.5 ft.
Mouse Genetics Research Facility
- The Mouse Genetics Research Facility use standard and mutant strains of laboratory mice for basic research in analyzing gene function and identifying mouse models of human genetic disease. In May 2004 the MGRF opened a new, 36,000-ft2 vivarium on the main ORNL campus at ORNL.
National Center for Computational Sciences
- The National Center for Computational Sciences (NCCS) at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory was established in 1992 and in 2004 was designated by the Secretary of Energy as the Leadership Computing Facility for the nation, to provide for unclassified research a resource 100 times more powerful than current capabilities.
National Environmental Research Park
- Research park that provides protected land for research and education in the environmental sciences.
National Transportation Research Center
- Performs research and development on advanced transportation technologies and systems in four broad areas: energy efficiency, environment, information systems and logistics, and safety.
Oak Ridge Electron Linear Accelerator Pulsed Neutron Source
- The ORELA is a powerful electron accelerator-based neutron source. Facility details and measurement capabilities are highlighted.
Oak Ridge Experiment on CO2 Enrichment of Sweetgum
- Tests critical hypotheses about the responses of a closed-canopy deciduous forest to the atmospheric CO2 concentrations of future decades.
Roof Thermal Research Apparatus
- The Roof Thermal Research Apparatus was constructed for documenting the effects of long-term exposure of small, low-slope roof test sections.
Rotatable Guarded Hotbox
- Researchers use the Rotatable Guarded Hot Box to test full-size wall, fenestration, roof, and floor systems.
Shared Research Equipment (SHaRE) User Facility
- Provides microanalytical facilities for studies within the materials sciences. Overview of the user program, facilities, faculty fellowship opportunities, and the users' handbook are featured.
Spallation Neutron Source (SNS)
- An accelerator-based neutron source that will provide intense pulsed neutron beams.
Walker Branch Watershed Research Program
- The site of long-term, intensive environmental studies since the mid-1960's, centered primarily on the geologic and hydrologic processes that control the amounts and chemistry of water moving through the watershed.
Spallation Neutron Source News
- Accelerator-based neutron source being built at Oak Ridge National Laboratory by a partnership of six DOE laboratories. This feed includes news items about or related to the SNS. [RSS]
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: August 21, 2013 at 12:24:07 UTC -