From Wikipedia: Campbell County, Georgia was a county of the U.S. state of Georgia from 1828 to 1931. It was created by the state legislature on 20 December 1828 from land taken from Fayette, Coweta, and Carroll counties, and from the half of DeKalb County which became Fulton County soon afterward. Georgia's Cherokee Land Lottery of 1832 also added to the county. The original county seat was Campbellton; however, when the Atlanta & West Point Railroad began to plan its route, the town's residents said no due to noise concerns. The tracks were laid through Fairburn instead, which flourished while Campbellton died out, and soon became the new county seat in 1870. The northwestern half of Campbell (and a bit more of Carroll) became Douglas County in 1870, divided on 17 October at the Chattahoochee River. The remainder of Campbell County was ceded to Fulton at the end of 1931, along with Milton County, to save money. The legislation creating the merger was enacted on 9 August 1929, with Milton being added to the process in 1931.

Related categories 1

Campbell County Confederate Soldiers
Consolidated muster roll of Confederate soldiers from Campbell County, Georgia.
Campbell County, GA GenWeb Project
Campbell county history, queries, census indices, Confederate records, cemeteries, wills, bible records, marriage records, and other county and state resources.
Georgia - Civil War - Campbell County Units
Listing of Confederate units serving from Campbell County, Georgia.
Georgia Info: Campbell County Historical Maps
Shown are images of maps from 1830-1915.
Georgia Place Names - Campbell County
Place names located in historical Campbell County.
Last update:
August 2, 2009 at 15:49:11 UTC
All Languages