become an editor
the entire directory
only in Society_and_Culture/History
Society and Culture
Tampa Bay Area
Ponce de León, Juan
White House Boys
Regional: North America: United States: Florida: Arts and Entertainment: Museums
Regional: North America: United States: Florida: Society and Culture: Genealogy
Regional: North America: United States: Florida: Travel and Tourism: Parks: National Parks and Monuments
Florida Division of Historical Resources
- Pages on archaeology, grants, museums, underwater preserves, history, and folklife. Site map, section on state historical commission.
American Memory - Panoramic Maps 1847-1929
- An online collection from the Library of Congress. Maps from all over the state, zoom in to see details.
A Brief History of Florida
- A concise history of the state "from the Stone Age to the Space Age" by the Florida Department of State's Division of Historical Resources.
Emanuel Point Shipwreck
- An underwater wreck thought to be from Tristan de Luna's 1559 expedition which sunk off the tip of Santa Rosa Island. The wreck is still being explored by state and university underwater archeologists with volunteer help. Includes virtual tour.
Florida Folklife from the WPA Collections, 1937-1942
- Folksongs, folktales, and life histories of African-American, Arabic, Bahamian, British-American, Cuban, Greek, Italian, Minorcan, Seminole, and Slavic cultures throughout the state, recorded under the auspices of the WPA arts projects in Florida.
Florida Historic Maps, 1836-1900
- Multi-resolution maps from the American Memory Collection of the Library of Congress.
Florida Historical Contexts
- A multimedia presentation on the history of aboriginal Florida.
Florida Historical Societies
- Locate address information (including web site links) for historical societies in each county within the state of Florida.
Florida Historical Society
- Cultural organization. Bookstore, journeys for the junior historian, family history, library, Florida Historical Quarterly, research requests and membership.
Florida History Internet Center
- A history of Florida and guide to historic sites across the state, with detailed timeline from 1497 to the present day.
- A place for Florida kids to learn, explore, and amuse themselves with Florida history and education.
Florida Memory Project
- Searchable collections of manuscripts, war records, historic images, vital statistics, audio and video recordings.
Florida Newspaper Library
- Florida newspapers are being cataloged to full level CONSER standards. Microfilm of newspapers is produced to national preservation standards.
Historic Roads and Highways of Florida - US routes
- Densely packed descriptions, maps, stories, and links for history buffs interested in the tale of Florida highways.
Scottish Highland Games and Celtic Festival
- In celebration of the Scottish and Celtic families who settled North Florida.
Society of Florida Archivists
- Academics, librarians, government officials and individuals working to preserve documents of historical value including papers, maps, photos, films, audio recordings and electronic records. Newsletter, listserv, annual conference, membership application.
United States-Spain Treaty of 1819
- The original agreement transferring Florida to the United States of America. Provided by the Modern History Sourcebook.
Wallace Reichelt Oral History Project, Florida State University
- With an index of oral interviews, some of which are now readable on the web. Covering the history of Tallahassee, the state, and W.W.II.
WPA Life Histories from Florida
- Depression-era reminiscences of ordinary Floridians, some written by novelists and poets who later achieved fame. From the U.S. Library of Congress files.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: April 2, 2015 at 21:24:08 UTC -