become an editor
the entire directory
only in Society_and_Culture/History
Society and Culture
New Haven County
New London County
Maps and Views
Monuments and Plaques
Reference: Education: Colleges and Universities: North America: United States: Connecticut: University of Connecticut: Research: Academic Centers: Center for Oral History
Regional: North America: United States: Regions: New England: Society and Culture: History
Society: History: By Region: North America: United States
Connecticut Historic Preservation Collection
- Information of holdings available for historical research on any of the state's towns.
- A variety of interesting articles about people, places and events from the state's past. Provided by the Connecticut Humanities Council.
Connecticut History Topics
- Photos and information categorized by topic area.
Connecticut in the Spanish American War
- Comprehensive historical overview provided by Jonathan Ault.
Connecticut Newspaper Project
- Locate, catalog and inventory all American newspapers held in libraries, historical societies and other repositories in the state, and second, to preserve and increase access to American newspapers by microfilming as many of their state newspapers as possible.
Connecticut Newspapers - 1876
- List by town of newspapers that were published in the Centennial New Paper Exhibition.
Connecticut Poorhouse History
- Illustrations and information on poorhouses in Norwich, Greenville and Hartford, plus local notes.
Connecticut State Archives
- Contains records documenting the evolution of state public policy, the rights and claims of citizens and the history of Connecticut and its people. Downloadable PDF files available.
Connecticut's Historic Highway Bridges
- Survey of bridges in the state of historic note, including covered bridges, stone arches and iron trusses from the Victorian period. Also provides preservation case studies and list of bridges on the National Register of Historic Places.
Constitutional History of Connecticut
- Reprint of article by Roger Welles originally published in the February 1899 edition of Connecticut Magazine.
Gateway to Connecticut's Heritage and History
- News, photographs, online exhibits, archives and information on events, history and heritage organizations in the state. Sponsored by the Connecticut Humanities Council.
Governors of Connecticut
- Reprints of biographies on selected governors of the state from the 1905 publication by Frederick Calvin Norton.
Historical Commission: Connecticut Freedom Trail
- Interactive tour chronicling Connecticut's role in helping escaped slaves reach safety.
Managing Travel in Connecticut: 100 Years of Progress
- Substantive history of highways within the state from 1895 to 1995.
Medal of Honor Recipients
- Name, rank and military unit of Connecticut personnel, for the Civil War, War with Spain, Boxer Rebellion, World Wars I and II, Korean conflict, Vietnam and others.
New Haven Railroad Historical and Technical Association
- A nonprofit group dedicated to the preservation of the history of the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad.
Quinnipiac's Digitized Connecticut History Books
- Links to digitized books on the state's history available for online reading.
Selected Dates in Connecticut's History
- From 1614 when Adriaen Block sailed up the Connecticut River to 1990 when Eunice Groark was the first woman elected to the position of Lieutenant Governor.
State Historic Preservation and Museum Division
- Functions under state and federal law as the state's Historic Preservation Office. The division administers a range of federal and state programs, including echnical and educational services, restoration grants and environmental review and compliance programs.
Stone Quarries and Beyond
- Extensive look at the history of Connecticut's quarries, stone cutters and carvers. Links provided to geology resources, photographs and further information on the stone industry in the state.
- Illustrated articles about the history of the public greens in several Connecticut towns.
The Vietnam Veterans Memorial: Connecticut
- News, photo gallery, calendar and Connecticut's 612.
WPA Life Histories from Connecticut
- First-person accounts of life in Connecticut collected during the Great Depression.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: May 25, 2013 at 1:18:34 UTC -