become an editor
the entire directory
only in Society_and_Culture/History
Society and Culture
Lake Tahoe Region
State of Jefferson
Drake, Sir Francis
Society: History: By Region: North America: United States: West
1895 U. S. Atlas: California
- Map of state with detail of each county.
1906 San Francisco Earthquake and Fire
- Information on the earthquake of 1906 from the Museum of the City of San Francisco.
California as I Saw It
- Online digital texts containing a wide variety of first-person narratives of California's early years, 1849-1900. Indexed by author, subject, and title.
The California Bear Flag Revolt - 1846
- Information on the historic Bear Flag and the stories surrounding it.
California Folk Music
- Library of Congress site documenting the WPA ethnomusicology project in 1938-1940 to collect English and ethnic folk music of Northern California.
- Educator-developed site covering California history from Spanish settlement to statehood.
- Explores the history of Japanese communities, also known as Nihonmachi, in towns throughout California.
California Lecture Series
- A series of seven lectures done by the Bancroft Library at UC Berekley on California history. Topics include Mark Twain, Hiram Johnson, and the Gold Rush.
California Legacy Trails
- Stories from the history of California. Established by California Museum.
California Newspaper Project
- Project dedicated to locating, cataloging, and preserving newspaper publications published in California from 1846 to the present. Online catalog provides information on the location and condition of these publications.
California Pioneers Project
- List of past settlers in California who migrated to or were born in California prior to 1880 obtained directly from individuals doing genealogical research.
California Research at The Records Room
- Locate resources (online listings, books, CD-Rom, lookups and addresses) for vital records in each county within the state of California.
California State Archives
- A division of the Office of the Secretary of State, provides a repository for the state's permanent governmental records as well as other materials documenting California history.
California Zephyr Virtual Museum
- History, artifacts, and information about the California Zephyr passenger car.
Center for Bibliographical Research and Studies
- Located in Highlander Hall, adjacent to the University of California, Riverside campus. Includes current projects and center information.
- H-Net group dedicated to discussing California culture and history. Features subject overview, archive, links to related resources, and subscription information.
- Historic photographs and drawings of the California gold rush. Prints are also available for sale.
K & K Publications
- Books on California history and the history of the Old West, plus research and events.
Los Angeles River Railroads
- Provides information on the history of the Southern Pacific, Union Pacific and the Santa Fe Railways.
O. Henry Mace
- Author of 47 Down: The 1922 Argonaut Gold Mine Disaster; Collectors Guide to Early Photographs; and Between the Rivers: A History of Early Calaveras County.
Online Archive of California
- Historical materials in a searchable database from a variety of California institutions, including museums, historical societies, and archives.
Points of Interest in the Desert
- Photos of old buildings, ghost towns, gold mines, and graveyards throughout the California Mojave Desert.
- An unofficial history of California Energy Commission power plant licensing cases from 1975 to 2001. Broken down by eras, the site describes over 70 different proceedings, with technologies such as geothermal, natural gas, solar, coal, and garbage burning.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: October 29, 2015 at 7:54:04 UTC -