become an editor
the entire directory
only in Society_and_Culture/History
Society and Culture
1906 Earthquake and Fire
Cable and Street Cars
Maps and Views
Regional: North America: United States: California: Society and Culture: History
San Francisco Memories
- A visual scrapbook of various events and structures in San Francisco's history.
1990 Census of Population and Housing
- Population and housing statistics from the 1970, 1990, and 2000 census. Presented by UC Berkeley.
Books about California
- Books about California, including etexts, and publishers lists. Includes San Francisco publishers and books about the City.
- History of San Francisco Bay area freeway development with maps.
- Articles about California shipwrecks plus pictures of artifacts, underwater video, an online database of ship wrecks, and a list of links from the California State Lands Commission.
Encyclopedia of San Francisco
- A project from the San Francisco Museum and Historical Society. Includes a timeline, gallery, and biographies.
Financial Women's Association of San Francisco
- History of the Financial Women's Association from 1956.
- A brief history of Fisherman's Wharf.
Gold Rush Trail
- Walk San Francisco's Gold Rush Trail, an outdoor museum of San Francisco history.
Golden Gate International Exposition 1939-1940
- History of the GGIE held on Treasure Island.
Heart of the City
- Includes various sections on the City's cultural history, along with a street origin guide, written by journalist Hank Donat.
- The story behind infamous Hoppers Hands sign at Fort Point.
Iceberg at the Golden Gate
- An article about Henry Washington Dodge, a survivor of the Titanic disaster, by Jan C. Nielsen.
Intersections: True Tales of San Francisco
- Various stories on "sex, madness, blood lust and nobility."
Jewish Life in San Francisco, 1860
- A passage about Jewish life from "From Three Years in America," 1862.
Larkins and Co. History
- Horse and Buggy Days in San Francisco. Old ads and photos from the carriage makers.
The Maritime Heritage Project: Gold Rush Ships, Passengers, Captains
- A non-profit organization dedicated to preserving shipping history from the mid-1800s to the turn of the Century.
Memories of San Francisco
- A site dedicated to San Francisco’s Lost Landmarks, by Jim Smith.
The Muwekma Ohlone Website
- Features information about the original inhabitants of the Bay area. Includes news, history, and a photo gallery.
- History and current condition of the oldest operating civilian shipyard in the United States.
Playland Amusement Park
- The dark side of the Playland Amusement Park, and details of the restoration of Laffing Sal.
- Exhibits of early postcards including the Cliff House, Golden Gate International Exposition, etc.
- History and photographs of the city, Peace and Love, and music.
San Francisco History
- A collection of historical resources for the city and county.
San Francisco History Index
- From prehistory to the present. Includes historical maps, neighborhoods, ethnic groups, an email list and forum.
San Francisco Memoirs
- The history of San Francisco in the words of people who were in the city between 1835 and the earthquake of 1906.
Shaping San Francisco home page
- Shaping San Francisco pioneers an interactive multimedia approach to San Francisco's lost history.
Sin, Fire and Gold!
- KQED's documentary about San Francisco's Barbary Coast history, the gold rush, the 1906 earthquake and fire.
The Straight on The Haight
- Stories and history of the Haight Ashbury. 60's styles, music, fashions and accessories in picture and text.
Summer of Love
- A celebration of the 1967 Summer of Love.
Summer of Love
- The 1967 Summer of Love web site tour.
Virtual Museum of the City of San Francisco
- Many online exhibits and links on practically every aspect of local history.
‘Fatty’ Arbuckle and Hollywood’s first scandal
- The BBC summarises the party in San Francisco's Westin St Francis Hotel that caused the death of Virginia Rappe and that broke the career of Roscoe ‘Fatty’ Arbuckle. (September 03, 2011)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: April 30, 2014 at 7:15:07 UTC -