become an editor
the entire directory
only in Architecture/Roadside
Arts and Entertainment
Arts: Architecture: Building Types: Iconic
Recreation: Roads and Highways: North America: United States
Society: History: By Topic: Social History: Pop Culture
America's Landmark: Under the Orange Roof
- Unofficial site documenting former and current Howard Johnson's restaurants and motels.
American Diner Museum
- A non-profit organization established in 1996 to recognize the diner's cultural and historical significance as well as its national importance.
American Highway Project
- Uses photography to document vanishing Americana such as motels, billboards, service stations, highway signs, tourist attractions, drive-in theatres and diners. Site also includes news.
- Tribute site to Howard Johnson's Restaurants. Includes history and directory of existing locations.
Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
- Aims to identify, conserve, promote, and interpret the cultural, historical, natural, recreational, and economic resources along the historic Lincoln Highway in Pennsylvania.
Lost America Night Photography
- A collection of night photography by Troy Paiva of the abandoned roadside west - buildings, signs, vehicles and scrapyards.
Minnesota's Roadside Architecture
- David W. Nystuen's project to photograph all the roadside attractions in the state.
- A celebration of a fading part of Americana: the motel.
- Travel guide to offbeat attractions, tourist traps, weird vacations, and roadtrips. Includes tourism news.
- Debra Jane's listings with photographs of historical eateries, giant structures, lodging, miniature golf, advertisement signs, and gas stations across the USA. Listed by category and by state.
- A tour of 1950s roadside signage and buildings. Includes sections on the futuristic Googie style and its Polynesian-influenced cousin - the Tiki look.
- Glenn Wells tours roadside diners and charts the rise and fall of Howard Johnson's restaurant chain. Includes an e-mail discussion group.
Society for Commercial Archeology
- SCA is devoted to the study and preservation of American 20th-century roadside architecture.
Yahoo! Groups -- AmericanDinerMuseum
- E-mail discussion group about the diner and its new museum.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: August 28, 2014 at 13:35:05 UTC -