This neighborhood was established as Tucson spread south from the original Presidio settlement. It was originally a self-contained "city within a city", and is known for its Sonoran architecture built from local materials. It extends from Cushing Street to 18th Street, and from the railroad tracks to Stone Avenue. Also called Barrio Viejo.
Barrio historico Tucson
Dennis R. Bell, et al. Tucson, Ariz.: College of Architecture, University of Arizona, 1972. This electronic copy was produced in February 2002 in part with grant funds provided by the Library Services and Technology Act. Includes complete text, illustrations and maps.
The Little Synagogue That Could
An article detailing the Stone Avenue Temple Project, begun in 1996 to purchase and renovate the abandoned 1910 synagogue.
Last update:January 2, 2007 at 22:31:16 UTC