become an editor
the entire directory
only in Alaska/Science_and_Environment
Science and Environment
Fossils and Paleontology
Regional: North America: United States: Regions: Northwest: Science and Environment
Regional: North America: United States: Science and Environment
Regional: Polar Regions: Arctic: Science and Environment
Society: Issues: Environment: Conservation and Endangered Species: Regional: North America: United States: Alaska
- Live aurora webcast from Mt. Aurora, Fairbanks, by Troy Birdsall. Aurora photo and video galleries. Aurora-related forum and diary.
Alaska Bird Observatory
- Birds and birding in Alaska. Research projects and reports, training opportunities, events, FAQ, bird quiz, programs, newsletters, merchandise, and birding around Fairbanks.
The Alaska Center for the Environment
- Non profit advocacy organization dedicated to preserving Alaska's environment. Organization information and current activities/events.
Alaska Conservation Foundation
- Community foundation for the environment that receives and awards grants to protect the integrity of Alaska's ecosystems and promote sustainable livelihoods for Alaska communities and people.
Alaska Conservation Voters
- Protects the environment through public education and advocacy, and supports pro-conservation candidates for public offices. Provides copies of the legislative reports and archive of the Conservation Watch.
Alaska Forum for Environmental Responsibility
- Organization dedicated to holding industry and government accountable for environmental compliance. Issues include the Trans-Alaska Pipeline and advice for prospective whistleblowers.
Alaska Natural Heritage Program
- Documents the distribution and abundance of ecologically significant plant and animal species, ecological communities, and natural features.
Alaska Quiet Rights Coalition
- Concerned with protecting the rights of Alaskans to quiet places on public and private property. Includes organization information, newsletters, and fact sheets addressing concerns such as snowmachines, jet skis, and tourism.
Alaska Regional Response Team
- ARRT provides federal, state, and local governmental agencies with means to participate in response to pollution incidents.
Alaska Volcano Observatory
- Organization using federal, state, and university resources to monitor and study Alaska's hazardous volcanoes, to predict and record eruptive activity, and to implement public safety measures.
Alaska Wildlife Alliance
- Our mission is the protection of Alaska's natural wildlife for its intrinsic value as well as for the benefit of present and future generations.
Alaska Wildlife Notebook Series
- Detailed species accounts of the big game, marine mammals, small game, birds, fur-bearers, fish, shellfish, and herps of Alaska.
Alaska's Wildlife and Sealife
- Information on finding and viewing the wildlife of the Kenai Peninsula.
Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
- Defenders of Wildlife article on this 19.6 million acre sanctuary in northeastern Alaska.
The Aurora Explained
- Aurora facts, what makes them happen, and the research that figured it all out.
Center For Alaskan Coastal Studies
- Nonprofit environmental education organization in Homer, Alaska. Conducts education and research programs on marine and coastal ecosystems of Kachemak Bay. Site has information about the area, field tours, and related topics.
Climate of Alaska
- Narrative written by the State Climatologists and published by the National Climatic Data Center.
Geophysical Institute: Aurora Forecast
- Predictions based on solar disturbances.
- Non-profit organization offering Alaska whale research expeditions. Whale photo gallery, sound archives, lectures, scientific achievements, history of vessels, publications, and Cynthia D'Vincent biography.
Landscaping for Wildlife in Alaska
- From the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. Describes the planting of trees, shrubs, and flowers with the needs of wildlife in mind.
Lyn Gualtieri's Research
- Research focus is on the Holocene paleoenvironmental history of the central Aleutian Islands as it pertains to the arrival and migration of the ancient Aleuts. Previous work focused on the glacial and sea level history of the Bering Strait Region.
National Marine Fisheries Service Alaska Region
- Federal agency responsible for science-based conservation of the state's living marine resources. Information about fisheries status, threats to protected marine mammals and seabirds, and programs to study and protect organisms and habitats.
Subsistence Management Information
- Offers information on federal subsistence fisheries management, and how the public can participate in the process.
Tangle Lakes, Alaska Environmental Alert
- An alert to the public of future mining development in Alaska's Tangle Lakes. This area is valuable to recreational hikers, canoers, bird watchers, fishermen and hunters.
Tongass Conservation Society
- Dedicated to preserving the biodiversity of the many island forests of the Tongass through protection of habitat from the pressures of industrial exploitation. Information on the area and current threats from timber cutting, tourism, and toxics.
Weather Research Center
- Map showing current weather station reports.
Science and Environment
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: October 28, 2014 at 6:45:05 UTC -