become an editor
the entire directory
only in Society_and_Culture/Disability_Resources
Society and Culture
Open Directory - Regional: North America: United States: Alabama: Society and Culture: Disability Resources
Recreation and Sports
Health: Conditions and Diseases
Regional: North America: United States: Society and Culture: Disability Resources
Society: Issues: Disabilities
Achievement Center - Easter Seal of East Central Alabama
- Provides vocational development and extended employment programs for physically, mentally, and developmentally disabled individuals. Serving Chambers, Lee, Macon, Russell and Tallapoosa counties.
Alabama Association for Persons in Supported Employment (AL-APSE)
- Education, technical assistance and training, advocacy and support for people with disabilities, family members, employers, and employment specialists. Calendar, message board, newsletter, and links.
Alabama Council for Developmental Disabilities
- Advocates for Alabama's citizens with developmental disabilities and their families. Grant information, news, calendar, email newsletter, resources, and links.
Alabama Council of Community Mental Health Boards
- Acts as a liaison between its members, the Federal Government, the State Legislature, and the Alabama Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation. Offers continuing education workshops and conferences for its members and for social workers, psychologists, counselors, nurses, teachers, consumers, family members, and other mental health professionals.
Alabama Department of Mental Health
- The state agency responsible for serving Alabama citizens with intellectual disabilities, mental illnesses, and substance use disorders. Database of mental health providers in the state.
Alabama Disabilities Advocacy Program
- Protection and Advocacy program serving eligible individuals with disabilities in Alabama. Responds to allegations of abuse, neglect and violations of rights of persons with disabilities or discrimination based on their disability. Excellent database of Alabama disability resources, online special education publications, description of services, and links.
Alabama Institute for the Deaf and Blind
- Education and rehabilitation system serving children and adults who are deaf, blind and multidisabled. Information on schools, regional centers, Industries for the Blind, and the special equestrians program.
Alabama Lifespan Respite Resource Network
- Information on temporary relief for caregivers and families of people with disabilities.
Alabama Lions Sight Conservation Association
- Founded to conserve sight by avoiding and preventing blindness; to preserve sight by treating diseases and injuries to the eye and to restore lost vision where possible.
Alabama Work Incentives Network
- Assistance in understanding the impact of employment on Social Security Benefits. Contact information for benefits specialists, frequently asked questions, and links.
Civitan International Research Center
- Coordinates and conducts research related to human development, mental retardation, and developmental disabilities. Listing of programs and links at the UAB Civitan International Research Center with information about mental retardation and developmental disabilities.
Easter Seals Alabama
- Helps children and adults with disabilities to live with equality, dignity, and independence. Description of services, volunteer opportunities, and contact information.
Independent Living Center of Mobile
- A not-for-profit organization whose mission is to expand opportunities for individuals with disabilities through information and referral, advocacy, peer support, and training.
- Serves men and women, children and adults, who have experienced a wide range of conditions including arthritis, MS, spinal cord injury, strokes, amputations, head injury or cerebral palsy. Support comes from a wide variety of programs and includes sponsorship, coaching, resource materials, and education.
Learning Disabilities Association of Alabama
- Dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for all individuals with learning disabilities and their families, to alleviating the restricting effects of learning disabilities, and to supporting endeavors to determine the causes of learning disabilities.
Southeast Disability and Business Technical Assistance Center - Alabama Affiliate
- Helps facilitate voluntary compliance with and effective implementation of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Space Camp for Students with Visual Impairments
- Hands-on science curriculum for students in upper elementary through high school grades who are blind and visually impaired. Program highlights include presentations by blind or otherwise disabled NASA professionals on career awareness and occupational opportunities in science.
State Resources Literacy and Learning Disabilities - Alabama
- Contact information for literacy resources.
Usenet alt.education.disabled -
Usenet bit.listserv.ada-law -
Usenet misc.handicap -
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:45:06 AM EDT -