become an editor
the entire directory
only in Society_and_Culture/History
Society and Culture
Open Directory - Regional: North America: Canada: Society and Culture: History
By Province or Territory
Chronicles of Canada
Guides and Directories
Personages and Biography
Police and Military
This Day in History
Wars and Conflicts
Winnipeg General Strike
Recreation: Living History: By Historical Region: North America: Canada
Society: History: By Region: North America
Society: History: By Time Period: Eighteenth Century: Wars and Conflicts: French and Indian War
This category in other languages:
- Hundreds of radio and television clips from the archives of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.
Canada - A Collector's Passion: The Peter Winkworth Collection
- An exhibition of the Peter Winkworth Collection, a nationally significant, rare, and valuable art collection that documents more than four centuries of Canadian history.
- Tells how Canada came to be, from the original four provinces in 1867 to the present. Historical essays showcase documents, articles and photographs.
Canadian Geographical Names
- Interactive and authoritative source of data with over 350,000 official and formerly official geographical names available in both English and French.
Canadian Heritage Gallery
- Collection of photographs, documents, illustrations, and maps highlighting Canadian history.
Canadian History Portal
- A guide to materials on Canadian history in digital format. Content is supervised by an expert editorial board.
Canadian War Brides of World War Two
- The history of the Canadian War Brides of World War Two; 48,000 British and European women who met and married Canadian servicemen overseas between 1940-1946 and who came to Canada to live at the end of the war.
Catherine de Hueck Doherty
- Pioneer of Catholic interracial and social justice, author, and foundress of the Madonna House Apostolate based in Combermere, Ontario.
Crossing the Bar
- An online exhibition on the history of women lawyers in Ontario.
Diary of a Student and Teacher
- A first hand account of the lifestyle of college students from 1900 to 1905; includes the first person experiences of a young school teacher in Saskatchewan.
Exploration, the Fur Trade and Hudson's Bay Company
- All about the fur trade in Canada, and how it led to the exploration of Canada, as well as the formation of the oldest and largest company in Canadian history: Hudson's Bay Company.
Fenians and Canada in 1860s
- Describes Fenian plans in the 1860s to attain control of what is now Canada and hold it in ransom for the freedom of Ireland.
Flickr: Canadian History
- This site is dedicated to documenting the various historic sites of Canada.
Great Unsolved Mysteries in Canadian History
- A collection of historical documents, photographs, maps and multimedia that enable users to investigate mysteries in Canadian history.
- A guide to women in Canadian history with biographies, quotes, and links to related resources for students, teachers and history buffs.
Historic Hudson's Bay Heritage
- Presents stories, information and photographs about the Hudson's Bay Company and Canada's early history.
Historical Atlas of Canada Online Learning Project
- Maps, graphs and text based on print volumes and redesigned for online, interactive viewing. Includes downloadable data in tabular form as well as printable map images.
History of the British American Oil Company.
- Traces history and development of this firm from creation in Toronto up to its takeover by Gulf Canada in 1969.
History of the Northwest Coast
- Significant events and history of the people of the northwest Canada from 1774 to present day. Includes journal entries from Captain Cook, fur traders, Indian prophets, and ethnographers.
Important Moments In Canadian History
- From prehistory to present, brief descriptions of the important events in Canadian history.
In Pursuit of Adventure: Fur Trade in Canada and the North West Company
- A scholarly site illustrates and documents heroic age of fur trade. Examines exploits of the North West Company and other Montreal-based fur trading companies. Includes full texts of manuscripts known as the Masson Papers from 1790 -1820.
National Historic Sites of Canada
- A directory to National Historic sites in Canada, with links where available.
New France New Horizons
- Marking the 400th anniversary of the French presence in North America in 2004, France and Canada have created this portal to a virtual exhibition and a database containing more than one million images.
Origins of the name, Canada
- A passage from the Canadian Encyclopedia describes the origins of the name, "Canada".
Our Roots: Canadian Digital Local Histories
- An online library, archive, museum and school all in one providing Canadian local histories and educational resources.
Pathfinders and Passageways
- Details about the discovery and exploration of Canada with emphasis on explorers and mapmakers.
- A brief investigation into the origin and meaning of the word "Pogey" (Employment Insurance payments). [PDF]
Quebecers, Catholic Clergy, Manitoba School Question, 1890-1916
- Includes documentation of Manitoba school legislation of 1890, which was regarded as anti-Catholic, and involvement of Quebecers in the controversy. [English and French]
Roughing It In The Bush
- Book and poems of pioneer life by Susanna Moodie.
Status of Women Canada - Women's History Month
- Lists themes, news releases and products for the annual Women's History month, which is celebrated each October.
Susanna Moodie and Catharine Parr Traill
- The conditions and challenges of emigrants' lives in 19th-century Canada as reflected in the lives and writings of Catharine Parr Traill(1802-99) and Susanna Moodie (1803-85).
Territorial Evolution of Canada
- Provides maps that depict the evolution of the nation's international, provincial and territorial boundaries from 1667 through 1999.
The Barren Lands Digital Collection
- Photographs, maps, and documents from two exploratory surveys conducted by J.B. Tyrrell of the region west of Hudson Bay.
The Beaver: Canada's History Magazine
- Publication of Canada's National History Society, devoted to popularizing Canadian history and to make Canadians more aware and appreciative of their past.
The Canadian West
- The National Archives of Canada presents this virtual exhibition. A gateway to the large-scale digitization of selected holdings. Topics include the fur trade, scientific expeditions, aboriginal claims and urbanization.
The Dominion Institute
- Works to develop the shared memory and pride in the nation's accomplishments among Canadians, through educational programs, surveys and polls, and documentaries.
The Famous Five
- A National Archives exhibit on the 1927-1929 "Persons Case" in which the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council declared women to be "persons".
The History of Ontario's King's Highways
- Historical and informational site, showing original highway routes from 1925-Date, old signs, and lots of old photographs. For convenience, highway mileage charts are listed.
The Nunavut voyages of Martin Frobisher
- Frobisher's expeditions to Nunavut in the Arctic are described as well as the search for a Northwest Passage to Asia, the first mining venture in Canada, and the earliest attempt by the English to establish a colony in the New World.
The Shingwauk Project
- Historical photos and documents of the Shingwauk Indian Residential School, with information about the Children of Shingwauk Alumni Association.
Virtual Museum of New France
- Information about explorers, natives, European settlers, and chronology of the settling of New France.
Work Through Time - Cape Breton Stories of Land and Sea
- A series of studies of Cape Breton Island culture to show that work is more than earning a living, it expresses values and involves people in relationships with their environment and communities.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Saturday, March 30, 2013 6:36:21 PM EDT -