become an editor
the entire directory
only in Society_and_Culture/History
Society and Culture
Regional: North America: Canada: Society and Culture: History
Regional: North America: Regions: Great Lakes: Society and Culture: History
Science: Social Sciences: Archaeology: Regional: North America: Canada: Ontario
Archives Association of Ontario
- Promotes preservation and use of documentary materials for the preservation of the provincial cultural heritage. Includes association, chapters, membership and related information, also contact details and links.
Archives of Ontario
- Preserves the province's documentary heritage and makes it available to the public. View resource guides, online exhibits and service information.
Arnprior and District Archives
- Collections related to the cultural, political and historical records of the people and events of the Arnprior, Ontario area.
Belfountain Heritage Society
- A historical organization devoted to the restoration and preservation of heritage and antique buildings in Belfountain, Ontario.
- Histories of 10 Ranger companies commanded by John Butler, and served in North America 1777 until 1784. Membership information, colours, weapons and uniforms, biographies.
Canadian Heritage Books Blog
- Encourages discussion and interest in the history and heritage of southern Ontario, especially the area of Burlington and Hamilton.
- Describes him as a man before his time, with details of activities and influences of this powerful chieftain and orator, who fell during the Battle of the Thames in 1813.
The Downton Story
- Chronicles the 1836 parish sponsored emigration of over 200 paupers from Downton, Wiltshire England to Upper Canada. Includes emigrants names.
Fort George War of 1812
- Niagara-on-the-Lake was the scene of many dramatic and important events in Canadian History. Retrace the steps of Isaac Brock and Laura Secord.
Fort Henry - Kingston, Ontario, Canada
- Activities at the fort and the history of the fort.
The Fossmill Story
- Book about life in a railway lumbering village on the edge of Algonquin Park in the 1920s and 30s.
The Glengarry Light Infantry Fencibles
- Regimental history and reenactment information for The Glengarry Light Infantry Fencibles.
History of the Rideau Canal
- Detailed history of the canal that runs from Ottawa to Kingston.
Hope Agriculture Heritage Club
- A non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and restoration of our agricultural artifacts, with members from Durham and Northumberland Counties.
The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents: 1610 to 1791
- Complete English translation. Each file represents the total English contents of a single published volume.
Kingston Historical Society
- Works to maintain interest in the history and heritage of the city of Kingston and its environs.
The Lost Villages
- A feature about The Lost Villages by the Ottawa Citizen, with photos, maps and video of the communities displaced by the creation of the St. Lawrence Seaway in 1958.
Mennonite Heritage Portrait
- An interactive social networking site featuring information about all things Mennonite. A learning site to which visitors can build.
Mennonite Historical Society of Ontario
- Encourages and supports projects which interpret Mennonite heritage through periodicals, workshops and seminars, public meetings, historical sites and publications.
The Official Donnelly Home Page
- The notorious Black Donnellys of Biddulph Township, Ontario, massacred Feb. 4, 1880 by a vigilante committee. Site includes historical, genealogical, and tourist information, as well as photos and other resources.
Ontario Historical Society
- Non-profit corporation and registered charity founded in 1888 that provides educational resources, publications, and bulletins to both members and non-members.
Ontario's Fire Tower Lookouts
- Dedicated to the preservation of fire tower history with photos, history, maps and links.
Ontario's Historical Plaques
- A photographic collection of Ontario's historical plaques erected throughout the province since the 1950's.
Ontario's Underground Railroad
- Provides maps to sites and plaques, and tells the story of Ontario's part in the underground railway.
Petworth Emigration Project
- Two books published by McGill/Queens Press about the Petworth Emgration Scheme from Sussex, England to Upper Canada (Ontario) in 1832-37.
- Historic tourist site in Ottawa. Features photos, history, information about events, and restoration details.
Sainte-Marie Among The Hurons
- Historic 17th century French settlement of Jesuit priests and the native Huron aboriginal nation. A living historical site representing Canadian life of the era. Located near Midland in the Georgian Bay area.
Save Ontario Shipwrecks
- Heritage organization promoting the study, protection and preservation of Ontario's marine history. Pictures and stories of shipwrecks in various bodies of water.
Sparrow Lake Historical Society
- The society is responsible for preserving and telling the local history of the Sparrow Lake, Ontario area and environs including Severn Bridge to The Big Chute on the Severn river.
The Toronto Ghosts and Hauntings Research Society
- Not-for-profit group for the collection of data about ghosts and hauntings in Toronto and throughout Ontario. Includes details of investigation and information about local and provincial events, hauntings and paranormal occurrences.
United Empire Loyalists' Association of Canada - Grand River Branch
- A heritage group celebrating and honouring their Loyalist ancestors of the Revolutionary War. These were some of the founders of today's Canada who sacrificed everything due to their allegiance to the Crown.
Wayne Cook's Genealogy and Historic Plaques of Ontario
- A resource and ongoing project of just under 1,000 historic plaques online listed by County and by 26 categories.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: September 30, 2015 at 11:37:47 UTC -